3. Addison Apartments

°3. Addison Apartments°

Sal °°

The walk from school to the apartments was one I had quickly gotten used to. It's been a year, or more, since Dad and I moved here, and it's just been full of great times and adventures. I never thought I'd like a place as much as I did back in Jersey, but I'm glad I did.

With (Y/N) here, the walking pattern was a little messed up. Since there was 4 of us, we usually just walked in groups of two and talked, but today I stayed back and talked to her while Todd, Ash, and Lar all talked about something that I couldn't hear.

"So, did you like living in the big city?" I asked, trying to make some conversation as we walked a block and a half without any words spoken.

"I didn't live in New York City. I actually was born and raised in Woodstock, New York." She said. "It's a small town with only like 6,000 people, so probably the same as around here."

"Oh, that's actually kinda cool. Probably a lot of tourists though?"

"Yeah, but mostly during August. But, some people don't even know that Woodstock was held a few towns over, anyway."

"You know, I knew that but I forgot." I remembered dad taking about it one day.

She smiled a little, "So, why did you move here?"

"Well my dad got a new job. After my mom died, my dad was just eager to get out of that place and it took a while, but we ended up here." I said, kicking a rock to the side. I miss my mom. I miss her a lot.

"Oh, I'm sorry about your mom." She said, looking at me. "That has to suck."

"Yeah, I was really little when she died, so I didn't know her all that well, but.." I trailed off.

"Yeah, I see where you're going." She said, "Maybe our dad's should hang out sometime." She laughed, lightening the mood.

"What's your dad like?" I asked. Dad didn't have any friends really besides Lisa, so it would be nice for him to get out and do something fun.

"Well he loves hockey, beer, and I guess anything else dad's like." She shrugged, "He likes working on cars and what not. Really big nerd."

"And your mom?"

"My mom left a couple years ago, ran off with some guy at work. Left while dad and I were asleep. She left some note about being unhappy here and that he made her happy." She said. "I haven't heard from her since."

"Oh man, I'm sorry." I said, this conversation went downhill really fast.

She laughed, "Don't worry about it. I'm happy without her. It was better this way."

We crossed the street near the gas station. The apartments were only a block and a half away. Across the street an old man was walking his dog.

"So, does that thing get annoying?" (Y/N) asked. "Not trying to be rude or anything.." she trailed off, stuffing her hands in her pockets.

I chuckled, "You know, I've had it so long. It's not now but I think it did when I was little. I was 3 when I got it. My dad always tells me how I rarely wore it until I started going to school. I had to have one I couldn't get off during the initial healing period, but once I could take it off, I was like those babies that hate socks."

She laughed at the baby thing, "Do people still ask you a lot of questions? Do they ask you to take it off?"

"Yeah. I don't really go places since people give me weird stares and what not. Little kids always ask to try it on. People just kinda ask why I wear it and stuff. The only people I've had ask me to take it off is like Ash and Larry. But, I'm still not that comfortable with people seeing my actual face."