28. Potted Plants

28. Potted Plants

Summer started quickly. Work was crazy, we had at least 2 weddings a week, from towns over. I worked as much as I could, trying to save money for college. I did receive a scholarship, so all I had to pay for was food and gas mostly, and I was trying to save up for a car as well.

I hadn't seen Sal much. He worked early in the morning, wrapping up newspapers to be sent out that day. He was up at 3:30 and at work by 4 I until a little after 10. Then he would try and sleep for a couple hours before I got off work at 4. Most days, I'd end up working late for wedding prep.

I did hang out with Larry a bit. On days Sal picked up shifts delivering, now that he had a car, I'd hang out in their apartment, playing video games with Larry.

"Hey, do you wanna go to the fair with us?" Sal asked one morning as we woke up. It was the beginning of August, which meant fair time. I always went to the fair when I was younger. My dad always had to bribe my older cousin to go with us, so I could pet the animals.

"Uh, yeah." I replied, rubbing the sleep off of my eyes. I looked over at Sal, who woke up shortly before me, but long enough to be more away than I am.

"We're leaving soon." He replied, nonchalantly.

"Sal." I whined, "Why didn't you ask me yesterday, I could have brought some clothes."

He chuckled. "Larry just texted me saying him and Veronica we're going." Veronica and Larry got back together shortly after they broke up.

"Okay, well I need to go home and change."  I said, sitting up.

"I can drive you." He smiled, still very proud of himself.

"Then let's go." I smiled. I was excited to get to spend some time with my friends. I stayed at Sal's tonight because I worked all week, as did he, and it would be the first time we had a day off together in three weeks.

We drove to my house and I quickly ran in to change. I waved to my dad and ran back out to door to Sal and Larry. We went and picked up Veronica and went to meet Ash, Jon, Todd, and Neil at the gates.

When we got there, the smell of fried foods and animals filled my nostrils, while nostalgia set in. My dad always took me to the fair when I was little, every year, as many times through the week as we could. He enjoyed seeing me happy, especially those few years after mom left.

The fair was my happy place, and I was glad I was getting to go back again.

"Okay, so I was thinking we hit the horse barn, first, get a slushy, then head through the miniatures, then through the cake decorating contest, before rounding back at the mini pony barn." Larry said.

"Sounds like a plan." We all agreed. Horses were beautiful. My cousins had some a long time ago, so I was used to them. I enjoyed seeing the huge draft horses and the Clydesdales, if they had any.

We walked through the barn and noticed a girl had her horse out and was letting people pet and feed it.

"Do you guys wanna feed her?" She asked as we gathered around the horse, petting it.

"I do!" I smiled. She handed me a carrot and I let the horse nibble it from my hands. It was a girl we went to school with, she was a junior at the time. The soft nose of the horse rubbed against my hand, and it almost felt like I was back in New York on my cousins farm.

We then went to get a slushy. After everyone had their desired flavors, we walked into an air conditioned room, which housed miniature items. Doll houses, miniature cars, and everything in between.

"What's going on at the grandstands today?" I asked, looking through the fence at the large dirt race track. There was firetrucks wetting down the pit. "Please tell me it's truck or tractor pulls."

"I think so?" Sal said, unsure. "Did you wanna go?"

"Yeah!" I exclaimed, "My dad would too. We always watch them."

He nodded, "We can come back later and watch them, if you want."

I nodded and smiled. We continued to walk around the fairgrounds, petting animals and getting nice, greasy, fair food. When we were done, we piled back into Sal's car and he drove home. The pulls didn't start until around 6, and it was only shy of 3.

I walked in my front door and was greeted by my dad who was carrying a large plant around.

"Hello?" I asked, confused about the plant. He turned to face me and jumped a little.

"Hey, didn't know you were gonna be home any time soon.. I bought a plant."

"Why?"

"I dunno, it was on sale?"

I laughed at him. "Hey, there's truck pulls tonight if you wanna go."

He frowned, "I don't know, bug." He said. I frowned back, and his frown turned into a smile, "Cause I kinda have a date tonight."

I smiled widely and jumped over and hugged him. "What! Really!?" He squeezed him and he laughed, still holding onto the large plant.

"Yeah."

"What's the like? How did you meet her? Is she pretty? Does she like truck pulls? Why don't you guys come with us?"

"One question at a time." He laughed, setting the plant down on a stand in the corner of the room.

"Okay, what's her name?" I asked.

"Melissa." He said.

"Oo, pretty. What about her look? What's she look like?"

"She has black hair, and brown eyes." He smiled, "She's tall and has this cute nose, almost like yours." He said. I smiled as he continued to gush about the mystery woman named Melissa.

They met at work, she was in accounting and they ran into each other in the front entrance. He knocked all of her papers on the floor and they flew all across the lobby. He helped her pick them up and he said that she was one of the most beautiful people he's ever seen.

"After you, of course." He chuckled.

"Thanks dad." I laughed.

"I would ask if she wanted to go to the pulls tonight, but we already made reservations at a nice restaurant down town."

"Well I'm glad. Hopefully I'll meet her soon." I smiled. I gave him a hug and went to take a shower before tonight's events.