10. Smile

°10. Smile°

It was finally the end of Christmas and New Year's break, not that I was excited to go back to school. I was getting bored sitting around the house, honestly. I offered to work more at the flower shop, but they didn't schedule me a lot, so I was mostly cleaning the house and watching Youtube. Today was the last day, and I didn't really know what to do. So, I grabbed my phone and sent a text.

Me: Hey, whatcha up to?
Sal: Nothing, lol. You?
Me: Nothing, I'm so bored.
Sal: Where's your boyfriend?
Me: Working.
Sal: Oh
Me: You wanna go out for lunch?
Sal: That sounds fun. Where we going?
Me: Uh, where do you wanna go?
Sal: What about Jamie's?
Me: Sure, I'll pick you up in like 30 minutes
Sal: okkkkk

I got up out of my bed and stretched. My back cracked and I sighed in relief. I swear I was like a 70 year old person with how much back pain I have. I walked over to the closet to look for something to wear. A lot of my clothes were dirty in a laundry basket in my bathroom. I kept forgetting to clean them. I grabbed a pair of lighter jeans and a top and cardigan that my dad got me for Christmas. I put on some socks and my snow boots before heading into the bathroom to finish getting ready. I threw my hair up in a high messy bun, cause why not?

I walked into the living room where my dad was watching the Columbus Blue Jackets vs. the New York Rangers hockey game. Even though we came from New York, my dad has always been a Blue Jackets fan. "Hey Dad? Can I take the Jeep?" I asked, sitting beside him.

"Oh, sure. What are you and Ash doing?" He asked. He shouted as the Rangers took the puck from the Blue Jackets.

"Well, Sal and I are going to lunch at Jamie's." I said.

"Oh? You and Sal?" He asked, looking over at me. "Finally break up with that douche tool?" 

"Dad! No!" I said. "Why do you even call him that? He's a nice guy."

He laughed, "Bug, he doesn't even say hi to your dad. Every time he comes over he walks past me without saying a hi, or even that stupid little head nod you kids are doing these days." He said. leaning back against the couch, the game on a commercial break.

"What's that matter?" I asked. I don't know why I asked. It was very rude of Derrick to never acknowledge my dad. I shook my head after it came out of my mouth, "Never mind, I don't know why I asked. I know its rude. Maybe he's just really shy?" I asked.

"Or maybe, he just doesn't care." He said as the game came back on. "Like your friend Sal, for example. Whenever he comes over, he always says hi and talks to me for a little bit. There was one time he came over, and I think you were on your way back from work or something, and when I told him you weren't home yet - he asked if he could finish watching the game with me."

I smiled. Sal was so cool. I really enjoyed the fact that he did like my dad so much. All of my friends did. Ash even considers him a father figure. Her dad works a lot and she's always over. My dad always wanted a lot of kids, so he easily took in my friends as his own.

"Anyway, yes you can take my car. Go have fun. Here." He said, grabbing his wallet. He handed me $30, "Go see a movie or something while your out too, my treat."

I looked at him, "Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes?" He laughed, "Just go have fun, you've just been in your room for the past week doing nothing. Now go on."

I laughed and shook my head, "Thanks dad."

"Sure bug."

°°°

I pulled into the parking lot of the Addison Apartments and texted Sal, letting him know I was there. He sent a basic "Ok" and I turned on some music and sat back in the seat. It only took a few minutes to get to the car. He hopped in and waved at me, turning to put on his seat belt.