Chapter 5

TULIPS

Ice

The Next morning was a Thursday. Ice drove down the main road to the international campus building. On a second thought he took a turn by the left and headed towards the general student restaurant. He hoped to catch a glimpse of Earth.

He had spent half the night imagining all crazy thoughts about Earth. He imagined him smiling and waving in his white shirt and a white apron over his body, making happy faces.

He realised he was smiling too. He got hold of himself and concentrated more on driving.

As he approached the parking lot in front of the restaurant, he saw a man in black suit scolding a student.

On a closer look, he saw that the student was Earth. The man wasn't a lecturer. He seemed to be threatening Earth about something serious. Earth couldn't react he just looked down to the ground. Ice wondered who the man was and if Earth was in trouble.

One thing Ice detested was meddling in other people's affairs. Especially people like Earth. He was too selfish to think of anybody's problems.

He turned his car around and drove back the way he came.

He soon reached his college and walked into the IC building. There were students everywhere and around the corridor. As he approached his class, a horrible sight welcomed him. His best friend Mark was talking and laughing with some cheap local student.

He increased his pace and rudely interrupted them.

"Mark, what is this?" He asked coldly.

"You mean who is this?" The other guy retorted gesturing his fingers in the air.

Mark had lots of admirers mostly guys. They sometimes come to his department to say hi. But Ice didn't want that.

"How are you even friends with this meanie?" The guy queried Mark.

Ice gave out a cold smirk. Who the hell was talking? He wanted to answer back as rude as he wanted. But Mark stopped him.

"Ice it's fine," Mark said softly. He held his best friend's arm and pulled him inside the class, towards the seat.

He knew his Ice was pissed. He had to discharge his new found friend before things got worse.

"P'Sign," Mark called the guy. "I will think about what you told me and meet you later in the day."

"No problem, honey," Sign playfully blew a kiss at Mark's face. That was Sign's style of greeting. He made a wicked face at Ice before turning to leave.

"What is he asking for? Money?" ice asked as soon as Mark sat down on the chair beside him.

"Noo," Mark stressed eyeing his beat friend. "You don't have to reason that way. Not every poor person asks for money."

"But they eventually do."

"Let's go eat breakfast," Mark cut it.

"I'm not hungry," Ice replied sternly.

Mark lowered his gaze towards his friend and noticed his face to be more gloomy than any other days.

"Is something bothering you, ice?"

"Its nothing for you to worry about," Ice replied.

Mark inhaled in relief. He knew his friend was not the type to discuss his personal problems. He barely even had friends so probably there was nothing to worry about.

"Ice, if you need someone to talk to, I'm always here okay."

"Whatever. Which of the restaurant are you eating today?"