Chapter 29

TULIPS

"Enjoying the view," A voice said from behind Mark's ear.

Mark quickly looked away from the field where the junior players were sweating it out. His eyes had been on Tan for some minutes and he was carried away in the moment.

He fidgeted. He didn't expect to see Ice in the field by that time.

Ice still looked really neat in his white shirt, black tie and black trousers. His light coffee brown hair glistened in the sun. His hands were in his trouser pockets and he stared at Mark scrutinizing his body language.

"Ice? What brings you here?"

"Who have caught your fancy among the players?" Ice eyed the players in the field.

"..."

"You seem really blown away by something over there, what is it?"

"It's nothing, Ice. Are you leaving now?"

"Are you avoiding my question?" Ice strained his eyes. His question was more like a threat.

Mark looked at his friend. He acted like a different person. To Mark, Ice had multiple personalities, he was rarely happy but when something catches his fancy he gets extremely happy. He was grim and mean most of the time and when something annoys him he never let's go easily.

"I'm beginning to see that... Maybe we both have similar taste."

Mark glared. What was he talking about?

"Maybe these locals are good for fun after all. Don't you think so?"

Ice smirked when one of the players stopped and began looking towards their direction.

"! ! !"

"Or maybe I'm getting a little old to have fun with..."

"Ice!"

"Are you innocent? Mark?" With that last word Ice eyed the young man in the field, turned around and walked away.

Ice had known Mark since they were kids. They attended the same primary school and when Ice was waiting for his driver to come pick him up, Mark also waited with him. Ice lost his mum when he was a baby.

He practically grew up in the hands of maids and several drivers. Mark was the only person his father had approved to be his friend. Ice gradually grew to love Mark but Mark was never aware of it.

Ice left to study in the United Kingdom for his high school. He returned after six years to see that Mark had formed a new circle of friends from other class. Ice felt hurt and jealous. Mark only loved Ice as his best friend.

Mark still wondered why Ice was been indifferent to him. He stared back at Tan. Tan looked away and went to the football stand to rest. He couldn't concentrate on the game anymore.

* * *

Goth walked downstairs from his room and heard his mom busy with the dishes in the kitchen.

He lived with his single mom after his dad had died in a car accident. His mom had refused to remarry or date any man after that.

He walked to the kitchen and greeted her. He reached the sink and asked his mom to rest a bit while he finished up. His mom was grateful for this rare occasion. Goth hated doing kitchen chores, she wondered what had gotten to him lately.

"You are quite happy this days, what's behind it?" She inquired.

Goth tried to convince her that nothing was amiss. He just thought to make himself happy once again. He never mentioned he just found a friend in a friend. Who have helped him overcome his pain. He was even planning to buy a gift for him and reciprocate the kindness.

After the first breakup almost ate him up, his mom was not happy about his emotional health either.

She didn't want Goth hanging with boys anymore. She felt he wouldn't find any love there only hurt. She nursed this feeling in her heart.

If only he will listen to her and not rebel. She wanted him to meet a young pretty girl who can love him, have  kids and grow old together. If only his dad was alive to speak some sense to him.

Was she wrong in choosing what is best for her son?

...

It was the weekend. Goth had retired back to his room after helping out his mom in the kitchen. He dialed Choice's number to remind him of the movie date they had later in the day. Choice said they will meet up and go together.

He had barely dropped the call when his mother entered his room. She crossed her arms strongly over chest.

"Mom."

Her face was stern. She was wearing a blue gown and a white over jacket. Her face was beautiful except for some wrinkles that indicated she was angry, very angry.

"Who were you talking to?"

"Mom? A friend." Goth flipped his hair off his face.

"A boy?"

"Yes... mom," he answered nervously.

The tall woman rubbed her forehead. "How long are we going to have this discussion. I don't like you hanging around boys, Goth. Do you think your father would have supported this? Huh?"

Tears clouded young man's eye. Seeing his mom hurting this way broke him to bits. She have always been worried about him ever since he came out. It just seemed like he had bad luck in the whole thing.

"But I'm happy. Mom," Goth sobbed.

"No, you're not. You are suffering and it hurts me to see you suffer."

He stood up to console his mom and apologize for making her worry so much, but she stopped him and stepped back. She swallowed back tears and held her hand out.

"Your phone. Give it to me."

"Mom. Please."

"Now!"

When he saw she was serious, he picked up the phone from his bed and handed it to her. She collected it and switched it off in his presence before leaving the room.

Goth crumbled to the floor in despair. The Teqars that clouded his eyes soon trickled down his soft cheeks. Maybe his mom was right. He needed to stay away from men and put his acts together.

To be continued...

Thanks for reading