Chapter 22: The Arrival Of An Enemy

This is about to get real. Please try to hold in your gasps.

   Luca's back, ya'll.

--------●●●●●●---------

   Once Luca knocked on the door, I pretty much had a heart attack. I was frozen. I didn't even attempt to move towards the door.

   Daveed looked at me and motioned to the door.

   I shook my head and whispered, "You're the man. You answer it."

   Daveed gulped, realizing that answering the door wasn't as simple as it seemed. Not when a psycho was on the other side of it.

   He waited a second before saying quietly, "Just because I'm the man doesn't mean I have to answer the door for him! He could hit me or something!"

   "At least you can fight back!" I whisper-yelled.

   Daveed sighed and said softly, "This is gonna be awkward..."

   "Suck it up," I muttered.

   Daveed bit his lip, went to the door and pulled it open.

   Okay. Always answer his questions with lies, I thought.

   Daveed smiled awkwardly at the man before him. "Hey...Luca..," he mumbled.

   Wow, Daveed. Way to act like we had nothing to hide.

   I barely held back a face-palm as Luca smiled back. Only it was a psychotic smile. I don't know if I was reading too much into it, but his smile looked like he was gonna muder everyone on the planet. "Hello, Daveed. May I come in?"

   "uM, I'm actually kinda busy--" Daveed started to say, but got cut off by Luca.

   "Thank you!" Luca said as he pushed past Daveed and stepped inside.

   I gave Daveed a "what the hell" look, since he had claimed that he was a good liar.

   Daveed looked down at his feet onve he sae my stare. He looked guilty.

   Luca moved his gaze to me. "Hey, (Y/N)! So...have you changed your mind about us getting back together?"

   I shook my head. "No. I'm really sorry, but as I said, I'm taking a break from dating for a little while."

   Luca looked at Daveed's nervous state, and I could tell that he didn't buy it. He looked back to me with a raised eyebrow. "Then why are you living with him?"

   Daveed opened his mouth to answer, but was cut off by Rafa, my savior.

   "How dumb can you get?" Rafa asked with a scoff. "You kicked (Y/N) out and she had nowhere else to go! And for your information, Daveed and (Y/N) remained friends. They decided to put the incident behind them."

   Rafa wasn't lying. He was a good liar. Unlike Daveed. I don't know who told him that he was.

   "But Jalene told me you guys were in love," Luca said.

   "We thought we were. But after a bit of investigating, we realized we weren't each other's type. So we're just friends now," I stated convincingly.

   Daveed and Rafa nodded. At least Daveed didn't mess that up.

   Luca nodded. "All right." He then smirked. "How about you resume your dating career...with me?"

   He stepped closer to me; too close for my liking.

   I stepped back, shaking my head. "You're a great guy, Luca. But...after what you did to me...I don't think I'm ready to date right now."

   Luca wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled ms close to him. "I could make it up to you if you just let me."

   Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Daveed standing with his fists clenched at his sides. It looked like his blood was boiling.

   I knew if he didn't find his happy place soon, he would throw a hissy fit and prove that our lies weren't true.

   I shook my head subtly at Daveed, signaling for him to calm down.

   Daveed saw me shaking my head at him and exhaled, unclenching his fists.

   I looked into Luca's eyes, smiling softly. "I'm tempted. I really am. But...I'm just...not ready. Just give me some time."

   I really wasn't tempted. Luca's touch didn't provide any emotional warmth anymore, and I wasn't yearning for his embrace; I was yearning for Daveed's.

   Luca kissed the top of my head. "How much time will you need, darling~?"

   I wanted to vomit all over Luca and push him back, but I had to play along.

   "I'm not sure," I said. "I'll let you know when I am."

   I realized that if Daveed was fuming before, he was definitely gonna kill Luca now.

   I glanced over at him, and sure enough, he looked even madder than before.

   I shook my head once more, reminding him not to blow his cover.

   This time, Luca noticed. "What're you shaking your head at?"

   My brain worked to come up with a convincing lie.

   After about a second or two, I was saved by Rafa.

   He was officially the reincarnation of Jesus.

   "Daveed just mouthed 'can we get ice cream after this'," Rafa said. It wasn't the best lie ever, but it was convincing enough.

   I nodded at Luca. "If we do, we'd go over our daily budget. We spent a lot today."

   Of course, we didn't have a daily budget. With Daveed being a celebrity and all, we didn't really need a daily budget. Or really a weekly one.

   "You spent a lot already?" Luca asked. "It's not even 12:00."

   I shrugged. "What can I say? Old Navy had a lot of good stuff today."

   In reality, I hated Old Navy with a burning passion. Everything there was just...ew.

   "I thought you hated Old Navy," Luca said, turning his head.

   Damn. He knew me too well.

   "I've had a change of heart. Old Navy actuay has a lot of good stuff," I responded.

   Luca shrugged. "Fair enough." He let me go. "Are you sure you don't wanna get back together?"

   "For now, yes," I said with a smile. "Thanks for the offer, though."

   Luca nodded and turned to leave. "I'll see you around, (Y/N)."

   "Yep," I said, although I was hoping that he wouldn't.

   Then, right as Luca grabbed the doorknob, Sadie started crying from the nursery.

   Daveed, Rafa, and I tensed at the exact same time.

   Luca paused and turned to look at me. "Is that a baby crying? Who's baby is that?"

   I could've made up any excuse.

   I could've said that I was babysitting for a friend.

   I could've said literally anything.

   But instead, I said, like an idiot,

   "That's my daughter..."

   I knew that Luca would have to find out about Sadie at some point, so I think that's why I said what I said.  The point is, I said something that I would never be able to take back.

  Daveed and Rafa both looked at me, wide-eyed.

   It was safe to say that I had fucked up.