Chapter 8

Alison stayed rooted to her spot, as she consumed the words Eli had just spoke. The older boy stared at her waiting on a reaction, but when he didn't get one, he shrugged, then walked towards his car.

"Wait" Alison finally found her voice "I'm coming with you"

Eli's eyes widened "Emily's going to be-"

"I said I'm coming with you"

The older boy debated whether or not to let her come, he ultimately gave up and opened the passenger side door for her cousins best friend, signaling for her to go in.

Alison immediately stomped towards the car, glaring at him as she did so.

The ride to the hospital was awkwardly silent.

"Does your mom know you're coming?" Eli breaks the silence

Alison shakes her head

Another silence filled the car, so much that the older boy felt as if he was drowning, so he spoke up again. Clearing his throat he said "I'm sorry....about how I acted towards you a few weeks ago"

Alison was momentarily surprised at his apology

"Emily — she's like my sister" He starts, one hand on the wheel and the other rubbing the back of his neck "I'm just really protective of her"

Alison snorts "Well that's an understatement"

"I'm trying to apologize here"

"I know" The blonde sighs "thanks for apologizing"

The car then engulfed into a loud silence. Alison anxiously tapped her fingers on her arm rest, nervously to find out what was wrong with Emily. In the short time she's know the girl, she had grown undeniably attached to her. And during those moments they have had together, the blonde has started feel differently for Emily, in away she wasn't supposed to be feeling for their best friend.

Just the other night, they two had almost kissed. They were broken out of their moment by Emily's mom calling her daughter out of her room. She inwardly screamed in frustration, they were so close.

Not only did the moment excite her in ways even she couldn't explain, it scared the shit out of her. Feelings in general scared her, she had never ever felt like this before. 

Ten minutes later, and she and Eli were walking into the hospital. Alison scrunched her nose up at the smell of the hospital. She hated that smell, she remembers having to sit by her grandmothers bedside for three days, having to smell it so much, that she was as accustomed to it.

Eli silently gestures for Alison to follow him. She obliged without hesitation. She could feel her heart racing as the approached the door. Because she didn't know what to expect, Eli hadn't explained anything to her, explaining that Emily would like to tell her herself.

It was in that moment, as she reached the door. Alison knew she felt something way deeper for Emily than she imagined. Something that went beyond friendship. And she was scared, but Emily needed her. So she wasn't about to let the brunette girl, who could be dying for all she knew, that she was as scared. She had to be the strong one.

Eli opened the door for Alison, letting her in first. He then shut it quietly. Alison's eyes darted over to the empty bed isn't the room. She assumed that Emily's bed was behind the curtain in the back of the room.

The taller boy stopped her, silently telling Alison that he should go in first. As he pulled back part of the curtain. Pam smiles at him, but Emily barely acknowledged his presence.