Chapter 16

Emily walked out of her doctors office. It was nothing new, she had walked that same path a dozen times. The concrete path was cracked, weeds were beginning to sprout from between the severed edges.

She'd taken this walk a dozen times

A lot of times it was anger she felt. Anger weighed heavily on her. This time...this time there wasn't an ounce of anger.

Or sorrow

She didn't feel anything but greed and defeat.

How was it fair that kids her age were able to freely run with Pugh worrying about going into cardiac arrest, how were the able to play sports without loosing their breath.

She envied them

It wasn't fair.

Emily wanted to be like the others, the brunette was tired of always being the out-of-place girl. She wanted to fit in.

Emily wanted normal

"We'll figure it out Em"

The teenager hopped up into the truck, she pulled her seat belt across her chest, then buckled it in. Her gaze was blank, cold dark brown eyes stared a head. Tan hands fiddled with the loose ends of the belt, pulling them out one by one anxiously.

"Don't lie to me" she glanced over at her mother, her gaze wandering everywhere but the elder women's eyes.

Pam opened her mouth to speak "Em-"

"I said" her sharp tone interrupted "Don't lie to me"

Pam knew her daughter was acting out because she was afraid, but she too was scared and wasn't going to let her child speak to her in that tone.

"The doctors are doing everything they can!" Pam shouts "We are trying Emily, this is killing me. To see my only child sick, to see her giving up. It hurts Emily, it hurts so much because I can't do anything!"

Emily stares at her mother, eyes wide in shock. The elder women hadn't ever broken down like that. It was safe to say that the brunette was shocked. After a few moments of silence Emily finally speaks up.

"It's not fair..." She glances away from her mother "I just want to be normal"

Pam's heart breaks. If should could switch places with Emily she'd do it in a heartbeat.

"Baby, no ones normal"

The brunette scoffs, sneakily wooing a year that managed to escape. "Oh yeah?" She then points to the boys playing on the court across the street. "The what's that huh? I don't see them struggling to breath or having to worry about whether or not they'll be a good candidate for a transplant list"

Pam's jaw quivers, she softly places her hand atop her daughters "one day all of this will be over"

"Yeah when I'm dead"

"You're not gonna die Emily Fields"

The brunette laughs humorlessly "Even when I get that stupid implant, I'm not gonna be able to play like I used too, and eventually it's gonna fail" she paused, then finds her mothers eyes "And I'll be stuck in a hospital bed until they can find me a heart"