22 | Family Tradition

☆☆☆ Chapter 22 ☆☆☆

Family Tradition

*Daniel's Point of View (POV)*

Nothing in this world prepared me for one of the best experiences of my entire life as of yet: waking up next to a sleeping Ane. Before becoming her boyfriend a few months back, such moments were only figments of my imagination or vague dreams I would wake up from that made me feel empty. I watched her occasionally move her fingers as her nose released bits and pieces of air, and even heard her thunderous snores. There were bags under her eyes and I witnessed her drool on her pillow, but a tired princess is still a princess. As I watched and caressed her cheek lightly, I couldn't help but shed silent tears. I was so lucky to finally have her next to me, holding my hand and squeezing me with hugs that cornered me with her irresistible scent more often than not.

Almost every day, it's a battle between my morals and desires to not run out of the residence and shout out to the world at the top of my lungs, regardless of what I was wearing or doing, that I love her; that I love Ane. For far too long, I have waited for these moments of peace and bliss, and little did she know of it, but it was all worth it. Everything that I have done for her over the past few years was completely worth it, which moved me to walk out of her room after watching over her for longer than my mind cares to think about. Somewhere within me, yes, it bugged me to leave her sleeping all to herself, but I walked out of her room with a certain purpose: it was time to destroy Jade's fantasies with something that is way out of her hands.

☆☆☆

The first thing Roger did after coming out of the bathroom to suddenly find me on his bed reading a book from his shelf was his usual heavy-toned chuckle. Visible steam radiated off his body, defining his lean, naturally ripped self far more than the beads of water on his exposed skin ever could. His arms, so perfectly sculpted, teased me── intentionally or not── with their flexing. His handsome hands held tight onto the towel wrapped around his awe-inspiring waist, but slyly gave way to the many things beneath it with just one look below his pierced navel. Gods, hot damn, Roger's such a... fuck. He gave me a knowing wink. It almost made me have a heart attack.

Roger's just too much for me, I literally just gave myself away without meaning to. Why did I not think before looking at him? Be cautious around a shirtless and practically-naked Roger, Daniel!

Oh gods, I don't even want to look at myself... I can't carry my girlfriend, not for a single second. Heat rushed up to my ears.

"Dude, I know I gave you a copy of my keys but can you at least call me when you're on your way? You didn't even give me enough time to shower well or take a dump."

As always, he's a hard one to startle. At least he's not talking about what just happened, but maybe he meant for it to happen. He's a living, breathing tease and sometimes it puts me right on the edge. Maybe he means that too.

"Is that so? I did my best to come in quietly. You should have continued doing what you were doing with the thought that nobody was around, waiting."

"Sure, sure, Dan. You may not know it, but you're a loud person, just like everyone else."

"Or maybe you're just too sensitive," I said, closing the book with a loud thump.

"Whatever, man," Roger snickered playfully, searching his closet for a presentable shirt to wear. My attention strayed from his face once more, helping itself to something I may or may not see again. Again, maybe he meant to stretch his fine back to reach for something. Maybe he meant to lightly brush the hair on his chest in 'deep thought.' Maybe not. He definitely meant to slip his towel down a little, that one was obvious. I noticed a stealthy smile sneak past his face, and the sly glow in his eyes. I know him more than enough to know he's having a kick out of my ogling. It's our secret, unspoken game at this point. "What are you here for? Did you get in a fight with Ane again for poking a boob? I already told you plenty of times, but if you're feeling awkward or nervous don't do the first thing that comes to your mind── nine out of ten times it's something stupid, you weirdo!" Taking out a short-sleeved v-neck from his selection, he then said, "So, wanna drink it off or go over to mama's for food?"

Eating at his mother's house was far more than just an enticing choice, but that's not what I was there for. "Not even a little bit of hope in me, old bud? For your information, things are pretty splendid between Ane and I. A little too well, really, which is why you and I are going to the jewelry store today."

Now that actually startled him. "Holy shit man." His fascinatingly soft eyes were at the brink of popping out of their sockets. "Holy shit man, I get it── you got the girl of your dreams and you're in your puppy love phase, but no, that's a very bad idea, it's far too early. You hired her over half a year ago, but it's only now that you guys started dating. Bad Daniel! Bad!"

I shrugged, letting the scene play itself. "It didn't start just now, Roger. It's actually been three months, twelve days and... six hours into this relationship already."

"That's not my point! You and I both know what I mean. It's too early."

"Yes, I know, don't worry about it." That response of mine only made his face worse. "Relax, man! That's not it, but you're not far off. I'll explain on the way there."

Roger lifted one of his flawless eyebrows. "What?"

I've never seen him so confused in my life.

☆☆☆

A ruby necklace.

By Ane simply wearing one, the unwanted attention of my sister can eventually fade away.

A ruby necklace, when it relates to a member of the Campbell family, is meant to represent a relationship born out of true love and nurtured by said love. It's one of our oldest family traditions, and is the equivalent of both an engagement and wedding ring.

"Daniel, look at this one. It's sick, isn't it?"

My partner-in-deceit pointed to a particular beauty: a loose velvet choker with a tear-shaped ruby hanging right in the middle. It would ideally rest on Ane's sexy collarbone. Beautiful.

I was right to come with Roger. He has a good eye for these types of things.

His tastes are similar to mine, yes, but they also have a certain flair to them that have, on several occasions, even contributed to my creative projects. Ane's flawless floral gown, for instance. I spent months designing the gown in my journal before I even bought the fabrics I wanted to use for it. At one point I was stuck on what to do, and he suggested a variety of flowers to "add more life into it" rather than what I was originally going for── sunflowers on a pale yellow hue. From then on I was smitten with the concept and developed something grand out of it. I still was, in fact, until not too long ago when I somehow felt compelled to give the gown to her sooner than we expected. There were still many adjustments to do, and despite the fact I knew her measurements by heart, it may have needed a fitting or two. I must have wanted the element of surprise on my side. But anyways, had it not been for Roger, I may have still been in the middle of its design, so I'm grateful for what I have already done with it. His good eye is one of the many good things about him.

"Yes it is indeed, my best man," I replied, patting his back.

"Best man," he muttered. "Yes, I'm all yours."

From the reflection of the glass beneath our eyes, I saw his lips curve slightly, shyly, before I looked up at the jeweler. It was a smile worth a thousand words. It was beautiful. I had to fix my throat to remind myself why I was there, and all it meant in the grand scheme of the universe.

Who else but Ane? "Can I get that one please?" Nobody.

Maybe I shouldn't tell Ane of my family's tradition with ruby necklaces.