24 | Their Arrival

☆☆☆ Chapter 24 ☆☆☆

Their Arrival

I was definitely not as mentally prepared as I had hoped days before, but alas the day of judgement was here. I dressed myself with the elegant dress Daniel had given me a while back, as today was finally its moment to shine, and complemented its wholesome beauty with a pair of white mid heels and pearl earrings that stood out with my perfect smile. A dash of lip gloss and a touch-up here and there was all I needed to make the hardest of hearts swoon over me, which I didn't hesitate to do as I had no idea how Daniel's parents were (and I had to show little Miss Jade that there was not even a cutesy competition between us).

The first to witness my goddess-worthy self was no one other than Daniel, who knelt on one knee and kissed my hand like the gentleman he was. "There's no doubt in my mind that you were sent here from the Heavens."

"Oh trust me, I know," I flexed, flippin' some imaginary curls. "I'm here to show humankind that they can never reach godly levels of both beauty and personality." Daniel lifted an eyebrow. "Well... you, Daniel, might be the exception."

It wasn't what he was prepared to hear, but he nevertheless chuckled. "Okay." Standing back up, he picked something out of his pocket. A pitch black jewelry box. "It's a little late, but── "

"Ha, late?! Oh my god, you can't be serious! Are you really proposing to me?"

"Uh..." Rubbing the stubble on his face, he looked up at the ceiling. "Somewhat?"

"What?!" Is that what he wanted to give me yesterday? Did he want me to show off an engagement ring to his family? He's nuts and has no patience!

He then dared to open the little box, and... it was not a ring, but a necklace?

"You might be wondering why it's a necklace, but it's for a good reason. It's, uh, a family tradition. We use ruby necklaces instead of rings for the ladies." He let out a strong wind of air. "Now, Ane, I know you're seconds away from saying no, but── "

"Yes! Yes, Daniel, I do!"

Daniel froze his tracks. "Did... did I hear that right?" He asked himself, rubbing his stubble a little rougher than before. "No, I don't think── "

I snatched the box from his hands. "Yes, goddammit! I'll marry you!" What's its worth? Maybe I could sell it. No, nevermind, it looks too nice to let it go like that. "Now this pretty thing's mine." I was halfway into putting it on when all of a sudden Daniel began to laugh erratically. It got louder and louder, making me genuinely concerned for his sanity. "Um, what's poppin' my boy?"

"This... this wasn't meant to be real!" He wheezed out. "You're a special one!"

What an ass! "You were joking with me?"

"No," he continued wheezing, but his laughter was dying just as fast as it started, "not really."

I placed my hands on my hips. "Then what's the point of all this bull?"

"Jade. She's, uh, one of my little sisters, I'm sure you've heard of her in some way or another." Ah, yes. I can already guess what he had in mind. "She needs a little guidance in her life is all, but for now she's... sick. She... well, she pushes my boundaries and it makes me uncomfortable. Pretending you're my wife could help her move on without having to directly do anything that could rouse unfavorable reactions."

What a great way to sugarcoat the fact that his sister's messed up in the head! "Y'know you don't have to go that far. We can just tell them the truth. I am your girlfriend. That should be enough."

He reluctantly shrugged, avoiding eye contact. "I kind of already told everyone you're my wife, haha... "

Ugh! He really knows how to annoy me!

☆☆☆

Within an hour, a luxurious set of wheels pulled over by the front steps of Daniel's residence, and out of it walked out the most beautiful creatures in the world, right below yours truly and Daniel: two middle-aged people, and three adorable teens (actually, scratch that, two adorable teens and one edgy imp).

Time to meet the family.