Suspended in Dusk

I woke up Saturday morning a bit groggy and still half asleep. I had spent most of the night talking to Milo on the phone. We've gotten to know each other a lot more over the last several days.

Although, I'm still conflicted with how I feel about him. With the whole Peter situation and all, I just feel stuck.

By now he should've gotten the hint that I don't want to be with him anymore. He hasn't even called in the last few days. Or maybe he has, but couldn't get through because the line was busy with Milo and I talking.

I let out a small yawn and make my way to the bathroom. I look in the mirror, still surprised to see my emerald green hair in the reflection.

After doing my morning routine, I go back into my room to get dressed. Kat and Josh had insisted that we set up a welcome home surprise for him and the rest of Type O. I swear, they've both fallen so head over heels for each other. Lucky them.

I head over to my suitcase and pull out the new dress that I got the other day at the mall with Kat. It was a black spaghetti strap dress that reached all the way to my mid- thighs and it had a deep v-neck line. The dress was made from a satin like material and it hugged my body in all the right places. The dress also showed off my new tattoo perfectly.

I do my usual black smokey eye and black lipstick makeup look before going downstairs to see that Kat is already dressed and working on the decorations.

"Ooh, girl, you're gonna have Peter wishing that he never hurt you." She commented as she saw me walk into the living room.

"Kat." I said.

"Sorry, sorry." She apologized. "Did you invite Milo?"

"Should I? I don't think I really should." I replied.

"Well maybe it's best not too, Josh had told me that Peter is completely torn up over the whole situation."

I roll my eyes at Kat's words and try to change the subject.

"So when did Josh say that he'd be here?" I asked.

"Around 2." Kat stated. "So in less than 3 hours."

"That gives us more than enough time to decorate then, huh?" I stated.

Over the next several hours, Kat and I decorated the living room with welcome home banners and black and green balloons and party streamers. We also set up an array of drinks and snacks out on the coffee table.

"Looks good." Kat remarked, standing back to admire out work.

"Not bad." I commented.

Ding.

We both jump a bit, startled by the sound of the door bell ringing.

"I guess they're here already." Kat announced.

My stomach began to churn nervously. I'm not ready to face Peter.

My heart begins to thump out of my chest as Kat goes to open the door.

"Josh!" Kat exclaims as she wraps her arms around him.

"Babygirl!" He calls back, giving her a tight hug.

I smile to myself, they do make such a great couple.

The smile on my face soon fades as I saw that familiar, broad shouldered, long haired man loom over Josh. It was Peter.

He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me. I just stood tall and put on a brave face, trying not to let him being here bother me.

He looked different though, like he hadn't slept in weeks. His eyes were puffy and slightly bloodshot, his long black hair was messy, his face was much paler than usual and it looked like he hadn't shaved in a while.