Eleven: Sunday

Pic: Alex & Bonnie, 19 & 5.

B O N N I E

The sun peaks through the curtained ceiling to floor windows, awaking me from my cozy slumber. I sit up and push my curly, messy locks out of my face. I notice Alex fast asleep in the bed on the other side of the room.

I know I will not be able to get back to sleep. I'm up! And so should everyone else. An early bird catches the worm, or at least that's what my brother Blake says. Yuck. I jump down from my bed, making a small thump on the floor. I walk over to Alex and with difficulty, I climb up onto the bed and sit next to him, watching his still, unmoving face.

I stare at my older brother for ages, willing him to wake up. I even prod his warm cheeks gently, but he still doesn't move. He's been asleep forever and it's not fair, the sun is shining through the window. I sigh and lay down and cuddle close to him, wanting his attention.

I wriggle against his side and whisper his name, cupping my hands on my mouth.

"No." His jaw moves a centimetre but his eyes stay clamped shut.

"But," I protest.

"Bonnie, it's early," he grumbles, his voice rough and raspy.

"I'm awake."

"I know you are," his arm grips my torso gently and pulls me closer to him, under the warm covers. "But you went to sleep late last night."

"But I really can't possibly go back to sleep now. I've really tried to go back to sleep, honest."

"Bet you have," he croaks out.

"And why are you in here?" I prod his cheek to keep him responsive to me.

"Coz' I was keeping you company. Can you please close your eyes?" He groans, his own eyes still determined to stay closed.

"Why? I like sleeping with Georgie," I sit up, pulling his heavy arm off me and I cross my arms indignantly.

"You mean sleeping in the same room," he corrects me but doesn't answer my question. He finally opens his eyes, stretching before he gets up. He abruptly grabs me from behind, I squeal, and wiggle around in his arms as he carries me into our living area.

"Can I watch TV?" I say, dangling in his arms.

"Yes," he sits me on his lap on the couch and lays back, grabbing one of my blankets to throw over us before switching on cartoons. "Are you not tired, then?"

I shake my head, "it's morning, Alex."

"It's six thirty," he moans and leans back, I settle into his chest, and I play with his hands as SpongeBob starts.

-/-

"Hey, baby," Blake walks out of his room, coming over to me and Alex. "How early did you wake up, then?" He picks me up from Alex's loose hold and I wrap my arms around his neck.

"Early!" I grin. "Alex is sleeping again."

Blake carries me over to the kitchen area and switches on the kettle. I lean back in his arms as he reaches up for a mug.

"Why have you not got a top on?" I draw my fingers over his tattoo on his chest.

"I'm hot," he brushes my hair back from my face, while waiting for the kettle to boil.

"That's what girls call you," I look up in confusion.

"Not you though, okay?" He laughs and puts me down on the counter so he can pour his drink.