Thirteen: Sweets

Pic: Bonnie, 5.

Don't forget to tap the star - it makes my week!

B ON N I E

"This car ride is soo long," I whine, arching my back in discomfort.

"Six hours, Bonbon," Joe places his hand on my knee, without looking away from his phone. "We've already done two, so only four to go."

"I'm boreeeed," I huff. "Four hours is practically forever."

"Where's your colouring book?" Blake sighs, opposite me, closing his laptop before delving into my mini rucksack.

"It's not there," I whine, shaking my head.

"Where is it, then?" He raises his eyebrows at me.

"I don't know," I wail. "And it's too hot in here," I start to unclip my seatbelt to get my itchy cardigan off.

"No, I don't think so," Joe clips it back, I didn't even know he was looking in my direction. He has quick reflexes, huh.

"Bonnie, you never take your seatbelt off, you understand?" Blake frowns. "It's dangerous."

I twist my head to the window, Joe reaches over me and unbuttens my cardi and takes it off my arms.

"Can we pull over at a gas station? I need some water," Georgie looks up from her laptop. I think she's doing online school.

Twenty minutes later we've pulled over and our driver gives us ten minutes, Chris and Mark jump out from the car behind and loiter, staying near.

I feel a strong hand grab mine, and I look up, seeing Alex walking beside me.

"Alex."

"Bonnie?"

"Can we get some sweets?" I skip beside him, puckering my lips, craning my neck back to look at my big brother.

"Hmmm."

"Please, I'll be the happiest girl in the world!" I hang tightly onto his arm as we follow our siblings into the shop.

"Fine, but you will eat proper food later, with no fuss. Got it?" He walks us over to the sweets section.

"Uh huh!" I nod, before feasting my eyes on the bright array of choice in front of me. "These!" I spot a bright yellow packet, my favourite colour.

"Sour patches?" Alex takes them off the shelf. "You won't like them, they're sour."

"I will!" I frown before grabbing them from him.

"Fine," Alex raises his hands before taking me over to get the food he wants. "Carry your water for me," he passes me a water bottle.

I nod, and he lets go of my hand to grab a packet of crisps. I spot a row of chocolate bars, and I grab two before Alex calls me and we walk down to the till. I love chocolate.

"You're loaded, munchakin," Joe turns his head, laughing.

"She's not having all of that," Blake reaches us.

"I am! Alex said so!" I make an angry face. This is MY candy.

"Bonnie, you're five years old. No five year olds eat that much," Blake shakes his head.

"She only got the sour patches-" Alex turns around. "Bonnie, put the chocolate back," he realises, frowning.

"NO!" I yell.

Other customers look around and Chris and Mark inch closer, noticing the wider attention.

"One bar of chocolate or sour patches? Choose, now," Blake crouches down. I shake my head, this is SO unfair. How am I meant to choose?