Sixteen: Skating

B O N N I E 

"Baby, open your eyes," I hear someone I love very much, whisper softly to me.

I turn my head, and cover my ears as the weird sensation of landing makes my ears go strange. Strong arms wrap themselves around me and soft lips kiss my head.

"Ears gone funny, huh?" his fingers run through the ends of my hair and I sigh in content.

I lift my head and open my eyes, yawning, and I see Alex, who smooths back the hair falling onto my face.

"Tired, huh?" He passes me my bottle of water. 

I nod, drinking the water, waking me up slightly. I lean back in his arms and finish my pink, personalised water bottle. Alex moves me to my seat and finds my trainers which I let him put on. He also gently pulls my fluffy teddy bear hoodie over the top of my ti-shirt. 

"Hey, little teddy bear," I spot Joe standing up from the aisle next to us, giving me another nickname. I jump down from my seat and Alex grabs my hand and his rucksack.

"Hi, Joey," I giggle.

Mark and Chris walk close to us and we gradually walk out of the plane. I hold on tight to my big brother's hand, and Joey is directly behind me. People stare and the occasional camera flashes as we make our way into the airport and to security. 

The flashing and chatter gets worse when we walk from security to luggage collection. I hate the bright lights that flash mercilessly into my face, despite Mark and Chris keeping a distance between us and them. I try to hide behind Alex as he continues walking beside me.

"Alex," I whine, covering my eyes. "No, make them stop," I drag my feet and shake his hand.

"She doesn't like it, grab her, Al," I hear Joe say and Alex bends down, picking me up in his free arm and carries on walking us with barely a moment's pause.

I hide my face in his neck and breath in his calming smell, continuing to hear snaps of cameras, voices and feet.

"Here," I sense Joe beside us lifting up my hood onto my head.

"You're okay, I got you, baby," Alex murmurs and I tighten my arms around his neck.

"Can you turn the flash off? She's just a little kid," I hear Blake's voice, cold and annoyed, not so far from us.

That creates a unanimous reaction but the flashes continue. I hear Mark and Chris' voices get harsher as they warn the cameramen or women to stay back. I peep out from Alex's shoulder and I see them continue to follow and surround us as we reach bag collection. 

I can't help but hear remarks and comments about or to "Georgie" but Joe and Blake stay glued to her and barely let the paps see her.

Finally, we go through arrivals and I feel cold air hit my neck.

"Alex, are they gone?"

"Yes, sweetheart," he replies. I look up and see dusk settling in and a car right in front of us is waiting. I look down and can't believe how Alex is holding a big suitcase, a rucksack on his back and me.

He puts me down and immediately, Blake appears and grabs my hand, and walks me to the car, lifting me in. The others come in after giving the bags to the driver and the car sets off into the night. 

-/-

After an exhausting morning of school, I am allowed to watch TV in a new hotel for a night, waiting for my siblings from sound check at the new arena for tonight's concert.