Chapter five

Pain, unbearable fucking pain. It felt like my innards were being squeezed and pulled out from inside me. One thing I realized was that there were so many ways to describe joy, a bounty of words in the vocabulary used to describe emotions like sadness and, most especially, love. But how come for pain it was always limited to words like excruciating and... and, I can't even think of any other word. How do I describe how unbearable this is for me? Tears, sweat, and blood were an understatement for how I felt, but that was the only way my body could react, an underwhelming representation of how devastating my despair was.

We've been at it for almost thirty minutes. The pack members were getting more excited and angry. I know, I know getting back up is very annoying but the last time I tried to feign death I had to get up quickly, and not only because they were about to throw me in the fire but because they focused their attention on Aria and while I was pretty much immortal she wasn't.

Everyone was yelling, giving him ideas about what to do. It was so loud and I was so tired I wished I could die. While I could stay there and do it all day, it was just too much pain. "Why don't you just throw me in the fire?" I groaned, spitting out blood. They say the eyes are a window to the soul, well my soul was filled with nothing but darkness. There was no organ to allow light or anything at all to filter in, which was no surprise after his sharp claws dug into my orbit in an attempt to reach my brains. I should be dead, I know, but since I could not die, what he left in the place was the mangled, destroyed remains of my eyeballs. The moisture I felt was probably from the dangling orb hanging against my cheek. Mixed in with the almost black blood pouring out and coating my face in a matted mask. It was too much pain. I stuck my finger in after him, pulling out the damaged eyes with my long claws so that new ones could grow in their place. My action made him angrier and, for the first time in my life, made me actually want to die.

"What! no!" Aria screamed. "She doesn't mean that please."

Oh dear, I wish I didn't.

"Great idea," he picked me up, throwing me over his shoulder as he carried me over to the fire, ready to throw me in. This could be either very painful or a bit of pain and final rest. I have suffered in my life. I guess this is a pretty valiant end for me. At least I can say I was privileged enough to meet a talking wolf (not) and I'm dying by a near mythical wolf. You know the feeling when you lose a competition, but you don't feel bad because it wasn't even a competition. Saving my best friend, although she was probably coming to the other side right behind me, I'd like to think I was doing well.

I closed my eyes after staring at Aria. It was too much for me to maintain her broken gaze. We both gave up. This was it. "I love you," she mouthed, and I smiled as best I could, considering the deep wounds I sustained from the wolf's claws across my face. I felt so many emotions at the moment, but I didn't expect that butterflies and nervousness would be one of them, and since when did the fire smell like the forest immediately after rain? Fresh. And that song, as fierce and as scary as the oceans during a dreadful storm. The fire didn't smell like that. It sure as hell didn't sound like it.

"DROP HER AND YOU'RE NEXT." The heavy growl had my body trembling, and it was not from fear. I landed on my feet but still held on for support cause at this point I had lost all my pride. Yeah, that was bad.

I landed on the floor as I turned to see the loud commotion behind me. A massive and when I say massive absolutely ginormous (not a word but you get my point) wolf was fighting, sorry beating the not so big bad wolf anymore, Blondie from earlier.

"Alpha?" the calm chilling voice didn't sound so calm anymore. It was a bit terrifying, and also embarrassing that what I felt so terrified of was now shaking in... Well in his paws.

"YOU'RE DEAD!" That rumble... oof! It was bloody, it was gruesome and it was beyond terrifying. This wolf was almost twice the size of my blood torturer. The blond wolf stood at least eight feet. This one couldn't be more than nine, but it was so wide, sinewy muscles covered by the most beautiful black fur I had ever seen wrapped around its freakishly wide frame. I cannot say I was ever happier. It satisfied my whole being with what was going on. My wolf especially. Good riddance.