Thirty seven: Witchcraft

Our quarrel had to wait, though. There was a loud blast shaking the ground beneath our feet, well beneath Malik's feet. So large and so destructive that even without seeing the damage, we knew it was bad. We ran to the pack to see everyone and everything in utter chaos. There was tension everywhere, and it took me all I had not to clutch my head, a howl at all the screaming going on in the pack mind link.

From a distance, I saw Absalom and Abel trying to calm the wolves down and get them to safety. Smoke rose up and covered the entire sky, preventing the light from slowly coming from the rising sun. But while there was smoke I saw no fire, no damage. The pack seemed fine. Apart from the apparent fear that terrorized everyone, there was no physical damage.

Leonard and some other wolf I assumed was the delta were already giving him details of the situation.

Wow, he even cared to wear a shirt.

"What's going on?" I asked. "I'm sure I heard an explosion just now. Why is there smoke but no fire?"

"We have a shield, barrier, like a dome surrounding the entire pack," the delta answered.

"A barrier? So then, why are you guys always guarding your pack territory like crazy people?"

"It only works against magic," Malik stated matter-of-factly.

"A magical shield? How come I've never sensed it? How did I get in if that was the case?"

"It's more of an alarm system, Luna." Leonard pointed out.

"But it stopped the explosion."

"Yeah, it did, but I'm not sure it is going to do so again if we are shot," the delta stated. "Alpha it's already cracked, in multiple places. We have to evacuate."

"Do you mean to leave the pack grounds? Never," Malik growled.

"I'd love to agree with you, Alpha, but I think Naphtali is up to something," Leonard said.

Malik growled again, his anger on a constantly speedy increase.

And just like that, a sense of dangerous familiarity crackled dangerously in my magic. My eyes snapped to the sky, in the direction of the rising sun. An extremely large ball of fire headed towards the pack. And I was certain there was no shielding this.

"Too late, get everyone under cover, now!" I yelled as I ran towards the parabola of the massive fireball headed towards us.

Malik took off running just behind me. As soon as I reached the centre of where the ball was heading, Malik was dragging me away.

"What are you doing?" I asked, digging my heels into the ground to prevent further movement.

"Getting you to safety, I'll deal with this myself," he growled.

"That's the dumbest thing I've heard. There is a massive fire ball headed here, brimming full of witches magic and you're going to take care of it? How?"

"I don't know, I just am. It's my duty to protect my pack." He muttered stubbornly.

"Well, so is mine. I'm the Luna now and stop trying to act all chauvinistic with me right now. Besides, I'd prefer to be mad at a not toasted version of you." I frown.

"You forget I heal almost as fast as you do." I rolled my eyes.

"You fool, you can't heal if you're dead, which is what you'll be if you stay out here," I warned him.

"So you expect to leave you out here?"

"Yes," I nodded, " now go." I gestured towards the pack house.