Chapter Twenty one

"Be happy"

I could feel my body again as I slowly started to get aware of my surroundings. The last words of the Moon goddess rang in my ear. I couldn't understand what had just happened.

"Iris?" That voice. I relaxed immediately. My fingers moved, and I felt sparks around my whole palm. His large hands covered mine. As if on instinct, my body shivered in excitement. I let out a soft moan. "Iris? Can you hear me?" His voice sounded strained. My fluttering eyes peeled open.

"You..." I croaked softly. Breathing deep and slow. How much do I take for granted air? Never again. His palm was under my head, ever so gently helping me up. I pushed back myself until I was leaning against the platform of pillows he arranged at my back. From the way he looked, it seemed he hadn't slept for days. And something etched worry all over his features.

"You're awake," he breathed. I shut my eyes and threw my head backward, my palms folding into tight fists.

"You fool, you sick bastard, you son of a bitch. You marked me?!" I yelled. He was taken aback, no doubt, even slightly annoyed. His eyes narrowed, and he stood up from that stool he sat on and leaned into the bed. Bending over so that I pushed myself farther into the pillows to keep some distance and my sanity.

"You have not changed a bit, have you?" He asked, his head tilting to the side.

"And why should I?" I shot back.

"Why the hell do you always see it fit to drive me to the edge of madness?"

I shrugged. He stepped back and sat down. Combing his hair with his fingers, he sighed.

"I can't believe you marked me," I huffed when he was a safe distance away.

"I can't believe you left me," he retorted.

I rolled my eyes, and his expression darkened. Ugh! Why do I keep forgetting? "Sorry," I mumbled quickly. And he huffed. What is his problem with eye rolling, anyway?

"And do you know the thing that hurt the most? I know you're coming to care for me, but you left anyway. Is that how much of how I repulse you?" His ocean blue eyes bore into mine, forcing me to obey, to answer. I looked away, unable to say the words he wanted me to, yet his hand on my chin brought me back into his gaze.

My lips quivered, and the tears that pooled in my eyes blurred my vision. On the brink of spilling. I bit my lower lips and tried to blink the tears away. They fell. This did not go unnoticed. Before I could protest, I was lifted off the bed and into his arms. I fit perfectly in his hold. And it was all I needed at the moment. Gosh, this felt so good. I wanted to stay here forever. But the image of the little pup kept popping at these moments. I pushed at his chest and looked up at him. Trying to will the words to come out. I didn't try to stop the tears this time. My heart hurt.

"I know you didn't owe me anything. And I am just being selfish, but I just can't-" I sobbed into his shirt, clutching fist fills of it. He didn't say anything, he just let me cry. "At first I resented the she-wolf. I hated the pup. But the moment I set my eyes on the little angel I-I couldn't hate the pup anymore. It made me angry, sad, jealous, and most of all mad at myself for not being the mother. I hate that you have a pup that isn't also mine. Aren't I your mate? Aren't I supposed to be the mother of your children?"

What the hell has gotten into me? Oh, goddess. Why am I saying all these things I don't want to say?

"Iris?" I looked up, sniffling.

"I didn't mean that," I said quickly. "I am really not that kind of person, jeez... this is so embarrassing." I looked away. Again, he brought my eyes back to his and smiled. "I know, it's the mark. You're being totally honest, I did that."