Chapter Thirty-four.

My mouth hung open as I tried to process the new piece of information. Avery and the other wolf, whose name I had just learned was Naomi, gave Talon an accusing look.

"So I'm not his first mate?" I asked slowly, dreading the answer, an answer I already knew.

"No" Naomi answered.

But why? Why didn't he tell me? I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to feel. I mean, it was the way his life was supposed to go, right?

"But he hasn't had a mate in more than three centuries, so he hasn't aged or gone into the waterfall." Avery tried to comfort me. "I'm guessing that's how long you've been alive, right?"

I nodded, shaken by the news.

"Look, it's pretty complicated, and the story isn't just black and white. But you should ask Ma- I mean Alpha Malik yourself," Talon sighed. "We can't do that right now. You should get ready."

I was too distracted by the news that I didn't even notice Talon's minor mistake, or even get to suspect anything. Not that it mattered, the truth was already going to reveal itself and it was closer than I could imagine.

So I shut out all doubts and focused on the task at hand. I needed to get it over with the crazy traditions and this mating ceremony. A bond was long overdue to be broken and we couldn't take any more chances with it.

So the atmosphere fell quiet as everyone fell into their own thoughts.

Until the dress for the ceremony came on and the zipper refused to move further than my lower back.

"This is a problem," Naomi sighed. The dress was beautiful. It was an extremely elegant design.

It was so long that it carpeted the floor and stretched out wide. From the ground, it came up in ruffles and feathers that were so soft to touch. With lace dancing and separate them to expose skin here and there. It covered my thighs well and hugged every inch of me. The black dress melted into silk and embroidered pattern around my upper thighs and stretched into a full bodice around my waist, cupping my breasts lightly. The dress began just below my collarbone and stretched around my arms in the same features as the flare.

But it wouldn't budge. The dress was too small. Why, oh why did this group of wolves have to do this? Not only did they provide me with information to doubt my entire relationship with my mate, but now they're telling me that I'm fat without telling me that I am fat! Such subtle mannerisms and I felt like I was an ogre. Just great.

"What do we do?" Every sounded worried.

"Who picked out the dress?" I asked. If it was Malik, I was going to explode right now.

"The she-wolves made it," Talon responded, trying to find a solution.

Instantly, relief flooded me, and I nodded. "It's truly a beautiful dress. You all did a great job."

"Well... not really." Naomi whined, "you can't even wear it."

"How ignorant could we have been?" Avery muttered.

"It's not your fault, and don't worry, I can fix it." I tried to assure them, but the two wolves just looked at me helplessly.

I smiled and muttered a spell. "Try it now" Every eyed me skeptically before tugging at the zip again. It went up smoothly.

"You did something, didn't you?" Talon smirked. I shrugged.

"You're amazing." Naomi smiled.

After the heels came on, they finally allowed me to look at my reflection.