Chapter Thirty five.

Cold.

The fall was almost never-ending, and the impact was not as intense, but it was cold. Soon enough, the weightlessness and dizziness overwhelmed me. The darkness from my black dress floating all over me soon engulfed my sight, and I was no longer in the water.

It wasn't cold anymore. In fact, I felt the warm caress of the sun on my skin, and my clothes were no longer wet and extravagant. Standing in a meadow, in the middle of such tall grasses. A burst of soft laughter emanated from my lips, causing a pleasing rumble in my chest.

I felt happy, delighted. My eyes fell on the other figure standing in the enormous expanse of grass as I turned around. My laughter rang deeper and sweeter, love filling my entire being to the point that it burnt in my chest. That song filled me, wrapping me, fondling me. It was too sweet.

The feeling grew even more when he maneuvered through the knee-length grasses, rusted by the sun, breaking and snapping off as he made his way to me. His hair was much longer, falling past his shoulders and he had a thin frame lining his jaws with hair. But even with the difference, I was familiar with this mountain of a man. In fact, familiarity couldn't come close to what I felt for him, my mate, my lover, Malik.

Filled with an overwhelming need to touch him and wrap my thin frame around him, I ran to him. My blonde hair jumped wildly around my shoulders, curly and bright. With an abrupt halt, I can to a standstill, panic slowly raising.

My hand fell on my hair and I pulled it to see it was curly and blonde. And from what I could tell, it wasn't fake. I looked down at my outfit. It was a long dress made out of woven... well, something looking like cotton. For the first time, I realized it felt really itchy. It had a really odd and awful color.

My eyes instantly went to Malik, analyzing his outfit, barely covering his chest, with wild hairs dancing all over. He was in shorts that did nothing but drag my attention to his powerful and thick legs. Why were we dressed like this? What the hell happened to my beautiful, silky, straight, black hair?

As Malik approached me, he noticed my confusion. It shocked me how close I was to his eyes, and as he dipped to kiss me, I didn't have to go on my tiptoes. Judging by how tight and secure I was in his grip around my waist and the fact that my thighs did not touch, it was only reasonable to assume that I was skinny and really skinny.

What is happening? I couldn't understand it until Malik spoke.

"What's wrong Mila?" He asked, worry etching his features.

Mila? Wait, don't tell me I'm in... oh gosh! I'm in his mate's damn body!

I pushed away from him, shocked, confused, and worst of all, guilty. Why did I feel like I was intruding on something very intimate?

I didn't notice he was close to me anymore until his hands clamped around my upper arm and he pulled me to him.

"Hey sweetie, what's wrong? I told you the humans won't find us here. Besides, if you feel lonely, we could always go to the pack of wolves that I turned. We'll just have to journey for longer in our wolf forms." He smiled lovingly, staring down at me. I gulped.

Was she the first mate?

Why was I in her body? I want to see how she looked. Was she prettier than I was? I feel so overwhelmed, my breaths becoming shorter and my body and brain requiring more than I could give. I panicked. Oh, Goddess, I was having a panic attack.

I could hear Malik calling my name, but it sounded distant. As I fell to my knees clutching my chest, feeling Malik's fear through our bond, marked and mated. The connection felt all too real, way too strong. Still struggling to keep my eyes open and my breathing calm, eventually everything went blank, and I passed out.