Chapter 2

Avery POV

Once I left the infirmary I immediately made a beeline for my class. Being late on the first day is a huge nono in my family, my parents are going to be pissed.

I follow my timetable to the art room which is number 208. I get to a large blue door that is decorated with abstract paintings.

I softly knock on the door and wait. The door opens and a student with black and blue paint smeared across his forehead greets me with a smile.

"Madame Eerie the new girl is here." I step into the classroom and look around. The room is filled with students that are either painting or working on sketches at round tables. The room smells like clay and wood and the large windows reveal a wonderful view of the school's courtyard. 

The student with the paint on his face beckons me over to the center of the room. 

" Salut, I'm Miguel and you must be the new girl oui?" I nod my head silently as the boy pulls out a seat for me.

I put my bag down on the chair next to me as the teacher walks to the center of the room and claps her hands together.

She's tall and slender with wrinkles of age upon her face. Her once brown hair is now turning white and her thin lips rest in a tight line. 

"Tout le monde gather around to welcome our new student." Everyone in the class stops what they're doing and begins to gather around my desk. 

I stare down at the desk playing with my ring. 

"Now stand up and introduce yourself." Shaking I gulp and push my chair back. It screeches against the tile floors. I can feel everyone's eyes on me as I look around the room. Miguel simply gives me a smile and a thumbs up.

"Salut Je suis Avery and I'm from Canada." I quickly sit down and shift uncomfortably in my chair. Madame Eerie tells everyone to go back to what they were doing and sits across from me.

"So tell me Avery why are you interested in the arts?" I just shrug and look down. The desk is obviously old given all the carving and sketches that are engraved into the old wood.

"I guess I just took this course because I like to draw." Eerie's eyes narrow sending cold daggers in my direction.

"Well, you should know that this course should not be taken lightly. I don't know how the school system is back in Canada but you should know that at this school we take the arts extremely seriously, so please do your best and work hard in this course." She gives me a tight smile and retreats back to her desk.

Once she leaves I let myself relax and sigh in relief.

***

 Once the bell rings everyone begins to pack up their stuff. I grab my bag and my sketchbook and head out of the classroom.

" Excuse-moi Avery!" I turn around to see Miguel waving at me from down the hall. 

" I know you are new here so I'd be more than glad to show you around our school, that is if you'd like a tour?" He stands there hovering over me with a large smile on his face. I back up a little and tug on my ring.

" Umm sure."

***

I end up spending the entire lunch break touring the large campus with him. Our final destination is the courtyard and It's filled with students eating their lunches, playing games or working on assignments. I take in the beautiful scenery of the courtyard and glance at the colourful plants blooming everywhere. Weeping willow trees hanging over the sidewalk to pink and purple flowers blooming in front of each classroom window to the dark green vines that twist, turn and crawl up and down the side of the cobblestone walls.  

As we walk along the green grass I see the boy from this morning slouched under one of the willow trees. He has headphones with his head against the tree and eyes closed. Curiosity gets the best of me and I point at him. 

" Miguel," I say randomly.

"Oui." I point at the dude sitting under the tree.

"Would you happen to know who that is?" Miguel raises his eyebrows and turns to me.

"Why ?" He steps closer to me staring at me with curiosity. I take a step back and look in a different direction.

"I-I just wanted to know because ... I saw him this morning." Miguel's blonde eyebrows knit together as he crosses his arms behind his back.

"That's Pavol, my brother." My eyes widen as I look up at Miguel and over to  Pavol sitting under the tree. Miguel takes in my shocked expression and a smile dances across his face. His hand lightly lays on my shoulder before he takes a step forward. 

"Come let's say hi to him."

(Make sure to like and comment ;)