Chapter 5

Pavol POV

After walking Avery home I take a detour through the town and stop at a local gift shop. I trail down the aisles looking for envelopes when I find a 20 pack of blood-red envelopes. Grabbing it I walk up to the counter and ring it through at the till then leave.

Once I arrive home I immediately hear yelling from my room. Of course, it's Miguel and stupid Xavier playing video games. Miguel has been best friends with Xavier since they were in kindergarten.I never really gotten along with Xavier given that he's too loud, obnoxious and that he always thinks his right. I honestly don't understand how Miguel can stand him.

I walk past my room and into the study room. The oak wood floors are freshly polished causing me to slide a little. After shuffling across the floor towards my favourite rolling chair I sit down and slide over towards the oak desk. The desk is pretty clean given that I did some cleaning before school started. Miguel's laptop sits in the corner along with his many notebooks. I pick up one and flip through the pages. Nothing but drawings. A dog, flower, tree. Miguel's got talent when it comes to drawing. I just wish I was as good as him. Unfortunately, I was not blessed with artistic talent.

Pulling out my fountain pen then opening the drawer that contains my very expensive ink I slide the blood-red envelope out of the package and set it on the desk, then I rip one page from Miguel's notebook and dip my pen into the noir coloured ink.

30 minutes later

Once I finish writing I take the paper and carefully fold it up until it's a perfect square then slide it into the envelope along with Avery's ring. I seal it then flip it over and write

To: Avery

Love: Pavol

Smiling I slide the letter into the desk drawer along with the rest of the envelopes then lock the drawer and tuck the key into my trouser pocket. Cracking my knuckles I lean back into the chair and wonder what Avery is doing.

"Pavol!"  Miguel shouts my name from behind the thick wooden door as he violently tugs on the door handle. The door to the study room shakes violently as Miguel bangs his fist against it. Rolling my eyes I roll over to the door and unlock it.

There Miguel stands infuriated.

"Pavol Mama and Papa told you to stop locking the door!" I ignore his temper and stand up from the chair and saunter past him.

"The rooms all yours." Miguel grabs my shoulder and pulls me back.

"Arrêtez, you have to take out the garbage." I groan and slam the door behind me.

Two Hours Later

Dinner is quiet as usual. Nothing but the sound of utensils scratching porcelain plates and soft chewing. I can't stand the silence so I pull out my phone and put on my headphones. But within seconds they're torn off my head and confiscated.

I reach out to grab them but Papa has already put them in the hallway drawer along with the rest of my confiscating things.

"Pourquoi? I was doing nothing!" My voice rises a little in irritation.

"No electronics at the table Pavol." My Papa's stare shuts me up and I stay silent. Instead, I turn my anger towards my food.

I stab my fish and violently cut into it. Miguel grabs the bottle of wine from the middle of the table and pours a glass of wine for himself. I watch as he swirls the red bitter liquid around in the glass before downing it.

My parents have always been lenient when it comes to alcohol. They've taught me and Miguel how to responsibly drink. Miguel stares me down as he downs the wine. Once finished he pours another glass.

Mama puts her hand on the bottle staring at him sternly, he puts it down and slowly sips on the wine left in his glass.

"So how was school today?" Mama circles her wine glass with her index finger looking bored. Her usually curly brown hair is straightened and pulled into a tight ballet bun.

"Bien, I met a lovely girl today her name is-" Before I can finish Miguel butts in.

"Avery and she is lovely indeed, very cute... mouse-like" Miguel grins at me. I narrow my gaze towards him as my hand grips around the knife handle.

A mischievous grin grows upon Miguel's stupid face which only agitates me.

***

After taking a shower I comb through my wet hair apply product then put it in a bun. Xavier and Miguel always make fun of me since I take such good care of my hair they say that I look too feminine and that I should just cut it all off, but I take pride in my luscious brunette locks. After all, it's hard work to look this good.

Once settling down I lay back against my pillow and pull the covers. Just as I'm drifting off I hear stupid Miguel walk into the room. He closes the door behind him and plops down on my bed.

I attempt to kick him off but he grabs my legs.

"Bouge toi!" I sit up and try to shove him off my bed but he doesn't move. Years of playing sports have made him nearly impossible to knock over.

"Pavol I just want to apologize for pissing you off and I was joking about Avery. She's all yours so don't get all defensive." He gets off my bed in walks into the bathroom.

(Make sure to like and comment ;)