01 ➳ DEAD EYES STILL GLIMMER

════THE BEGINNING════

[3011, South Korea, Seoul]

"Mom?" called Taehyung as he crept down the stairs cautiously. He heard another crash downstairs along with a horde of callous groans. The twelve-year-old boy came to an abrupt halt as he heard the wooden floorboard creek beneath his feet. He heard glass breaking.

"Dad?" he finally reached the bottom of the staircase. Taehyung made his way onto the tile floors. He could hear the sound of his skin sticking to the cold tile as a sobbing accompanied the chilling silence. Taehyung reached for the light switch when his toes dipped into some sort of liquid. "Oh my God," he uttered breathlessly. His bare foot was resting in a pool of blood.

"Taehyung?" said boy's silver irises followed the crimson trail of blood to his American father's broken skull.

The scarlet liquid oozed crimson from the fractures and his brain bulged out his broken scalp. His eyes were gouged in by thick marbles that had forcefully been slammed in. His torso laid supine on his back, however, the way his lower half was resting with his butt in the air showed that his body was equivalent to sour twisted candy. Taehyung noticed that one of his father's arms was ripped from his body. There was a hand holding his. Her body beautifully preserved. She was dead as well.

"Mom?" whispered Taehyung sotto voce and knelt beside her decaying body because he was too afraid to touch his father's mangled corpse. "Mom, don't leave me." A twelve-year-old should not have to beg for his mother like such.

"Taehyung?"

He turned his head when he heard his older brother utter his name. Ruby, red, crimson spewed his lips dripping down his chin and pieces of flesh wedged between his teeth. Taehyung uttered a scream of terror as his brother lunged at him.

"Taehyung?"

Said boy's feet were holding him away by kicking at his broad shoulders. Ultimately, Taehyung's knees gave in and came to fold only to bring his attacker closer. The blood of his parents drooled over his brother's gray, crusty lips. Taehyung screamed as his tongue detached from him, coming to rest at the hollow of his throat. Taehyung released a cry of disgust, odious. His brother's irises were hollowed out of emotion and were deluded milky white.

"Seokjin-hyung, stop!" There was a low gurgle that spewed his lips. Seokjin could not articulate any coherent words well without his tongue, but Taehyung could somehow understand the word his brother continued to repeat.

"Taehyung?" It was a pained question. It was as if he was asking why Taehyung was not there to help their family. Taehyung rolled onto his back and kicked Seokjin off. He went flying across the room and Taehyung hid behind the kitchen island. Seokjin's attention was successfully driven away from him. Taehyung peeked around the corner. He went and knelt in front of their mother's body.