10 ➳ DEAD EYES STILL GLIMMER

════MALL════

════MALL════

"That's so stupid," Hoseok finally uttered as the rest remained completely silent. They stood before a colossal structure; the ostentatious derelict mall loomed over them proudly. Jeongguk stood at front with his hands akimbo on his serrated hips.

"Why?" asked Jeongguk, "I've gone through the mall before."

"Yeah, and let us remember that," ridiculed Taehyung. Jeongguk shot a glare towards him and Taehyung eluded his gaze.

"It's the fastest and easiest way. Otherwise we go through the woods where everything can be hiding. And there might be supplies in there."

"Yeah, because in eight years no one thought to look in the mall," Taehyung retorted impulsively.

"What's your problem?" asked Jeongguk, confronting Taehyung in front of everyone. Taehyung decided to speak his mind.

"That's dangerous, Jeongguk. If you want to go in and get yourself killed, then be my guest! But you're the only cure known in existence and you're throwing it away on being reckless!"

"Fuck you!" hollered Jeongguk. Taehyung saw the glossy sheen of tears forming at his waterline. They continued to stare at each other.

"Whoa..."

The two broke their contest and averted their gaze towards the rest of the group. Yoongi and Hoseok had silly grins engraved on their features. Namjoon's strong arms were woven across his firm chest. Yoongi decided to speak up, "The last time I felt this much tension—"

"Someone got laid," Hoseok finished his husband's sentence candidly. Both Jeongguk and Taehyung felt slightly uncomfortable at the candid phrase.

"I'm going through the mall. Join me or not. I don't really care." Jeongguk began walking without the others. Both Namjoon and Taehyung quickly ran after him. Taehyung could not believe he was acting like Namjoon. However, Jeongguk was the only hope for humanity.

"Jeongguk, stop!" they admonished in unison.

"Don't try to s—" Taehyung caught the ebony-haired boy right before he hit the ground and almost bashed his head against a car. Taehyung hauled him back into his arms.

"Watch where you're walking." he whispered lowly in Jeongguk's ear. Jeongguk blinked slowly. Taehyung's eyes dart down to Jeongguk one last time, watching as his long lashes kiss upon the peak of his cheeks each time he bats his eyelids and how the swirls of honey and browns darken with anemic pique.

"Did ... did you get stronger?" asked Jeongguk, his small hands squeezing Taehyung's biceps.

"Another side effect it seems." Taehyung stood him up so that he would pay attention. "Now, if we're going to go through that damn mall, you are going to stick behind Namjoon or me. Do you understand?" Jeongguk seemed dazed. He just kept staring at Taehyung. "Jeongguk?" said Taehyung.