Chapter 3 - Part 1

The early winter sunrise cast it's fiery-pink rays over the foggy city of Elo'yn, setting it ablaze like a wild fire. The Lady of Red glowing true to her name in the bright light. With her open arms she stood tall and proud at the gate of the mighty city, like a mother welcoming her child into her warm bosom.

Like clockwork, at daybreak, the city sprang back to life with the bustling of people of all social classes minding their mundane business. The same, of course, went for the Academy in which Haiden had settled himself the previous night.

The constant buzzing of hurried paces, chattering of servants and laughter resounded just beyond his door, drawing him away from his first, in a long time, peaceful and dreamless sleep.

Reluctant, Haiden flutered his long lashes to reveal a set of amber eyes that shone like gems in the dimmed daybreak light. Groaning with annoyance at the racket outside he turned on his other side only to realize the softness of the mattresses on which he laid upon, the green of the walls, and even the smell of fresh herbs and flowers paired with something warm was unfamiliar. He took a sharp breath in shock, carefully surveying his body with his hands he found soft fabric that snugged him tight keeping him warm. The events of the previous day flashed in his mind: Tasgal, the woman, old man Uligarth, Headmistress' study and Master Rwoy.

I'm at the Academy, he realized finally letting himself exhale. Looking around he took in the sight of the room that was now his own. When Master Rwoy showed him his room, at that point he was in a complete daze from exhaustion. It had been a full day. He only remembered eating something, scrubbing the stench off his body and then nothing, his mind drew blank. The room was small, allowing for a simple desk, bed and wardrobe. It had only one window, just above the desk and two doors which Haiden, figured that the one opposite to the window, from which all that racket came, lead to the corridor outside, and the one next to the wardrobe was what Master Rwoy had called a lavatory.
He spotted his dirty clothes on the floor next to his trunk and backpack. Relief surged through him. He didn't care much about the backpack, but the trunk held his most treasured possessions.

Deciding that he ought to unpack the few things in his backpack, he reluctantly pulled the warm covers off of him.

"Uff," he grabbed his arms and shivered. A crisp chill had shocked him, snapping him completely awake. While folding his clothes neatly inside his wardrobe he noticed several items of clothing already inside. Clean clothing. Taking them out and sizing them up to his body they seemed to be just his size. Once dressed in his new acquired clothes, he ran his hands over the quality fabrics. He was now dressed in black fitted breeches, a short dark green sleeveless tunic that stopped just below his waist and a pair of black leather boots he found at the bottom of the wardrobe. The fabrics felt luxurious and comfortable on his skin. Smooth and creamy. Up until now he only had rough fabrics that itched and scratched him in all the wrong places. Inside the same wardrobe he found a dark green cloak that was made of a strange and fuzzy fabric. It tickled his palm as he brushed it lightly. He couldn't resist and tried it on, giving a twirl as the cloak fanned.

I could get used to this, he mused.

The fog outside grabbed his attention and he leaned to the window sill. He saw young men and women walking about on stone tiled ways in only their green tunic. He furrowed his brows in confusion.

Aren't they cold? he told himself. Haiden could clearly see their breath in the air, and the trees and shrubs seemed to have a layer of frost on them, yet everyone moved with unhuman comodity. He quickly dashed to his wardrobe checking everything inside.

Only. Green. Tunics. "AND SLEAVE- ACK!" he screamed. The door slammed open with a loud bang, the shock of which made him instinctively cover himself as if he was naked. He turned to see a man in dark robes towering in his doorway with a tray of food floating just next to him.