Chapter 3

Caleb carries Philip's limp body to the castle. A million questions run through his mind. Was she the mermaid Philip rescued? If she was saving him, why was Philip's shirt torn and used to wrap her wounds? Did she do that? Is Philip's current state a warning? Caleb doesn't even know if he's allowed to tell them what happened.

The guards let Caleb in without hesitation.

"Tell the king we found Philip!" Caleb yells to a servant as he lays him on a bed and strips him down of his wet clothes.

A servant hurries out of the room, and others move forward to light and fire and with blankets and dry clothes.

"What happened?" the king asks, rushing in.

"I'm not sure. I found him in the water," Caleb says. "He must have jumped the rail again."

"That boy," the king mutters, rubbing his forehead. He takes his son's hand. "Philip?"

Philip moans slightly. His breathing is laboured and covered in sweat.

"He has a high fever," the doctor says.

Caleb nods. "I'm going to Minerva."

The king hesitates before nodding. "Remember to be specific about the situation. That woman likes to cause trouble."

Caleb nods and runs off.

"Muriel!" Percy calls for what feels like the hundredth time. He rubs his sore throat. "Muriel!"

Muriel, who hasn't moved, curls tighter before coming out of the tiny cave.

As soon as Percy catches sight of her, he nearly knocks her back into the rock with his hug. "Muriel! Are you all right? Where have you-"

Muriel takes his shoulders and pushes him back. "I'm fine," she mumbles.

Percy stoops his head to look into her eyes. "What's wrong?"

She sniffs and wipes away her remaining tears. "Why do my sisters hate me? What did I do?"

Percy bites his lip before moving in to hug her again.

Muriel puts a hand on his chest, stopping him. "Percy, you're terrible at keeping secrets. What do you know?"

Percy looks away, rubbing the back of his neck. "I don't know-"

"Percy, tell me now!!"

He flinches and swallows. "The night your mother died... she died saving you.... I guess some of them are bitter because of you..." He bites his lip.

Muriel swallows. "If I weren't alive, Mom would be. But that's not my fault-"

Percy hugs her tightly. "I know not, and you know that. Don't blame yourself, please," he whispers. "It was an accident on the human's part, and your mother valued your life over hers. It's what mothers do."

Muriel looks away.

Percy floats there, holding Muriel as a brother would hold his sister. "Your mother loved you and thought your life was worth saving. You didn't have to do anything to earn it and still don't. It was her choice."

Muriel squeezes him tighter for a moment before pulling away. "Thanks, Flounder."

He gives a smile. "No problem." He rubs her head. "I've always seen you as a little sister."

"You are a few years older than me," she whispers, wiping away more of her tears.

Percy nods. "So, about those bandages?"

Muriel goes to swim away, but Percy grabs her arm.

"Come on, what happened? You weren't with a man, were you? Was it Michael?"