Chapter 21

Aban looks at Aidan. "What?"

Aidan swallows. "I can't do this anymore. What if she turns against us? She's not right in the head, she's never been. She's only taking care of us because we could continue her work after her." He takes his arm to stop him. "Aban."

Aban looks away and sighs. "But if we go against her, she will turn against us. We can't fight her. Besides, she's the one who found and took us in."

"For her own benefit. I'm just as scared as you, but I'm tired of this game she's playing. I hate sitting there, watching as people writhe in pain. We both know it doesn't need to be that painful!" Aidan exclaims.

Aban's shoulders droop. He hugs his arm to his side. "I know... But we'll be alone."

Aidan hugs him. "No, we won't. We have each other. And possibly our older brother."

Aban smiles and hugs him back. "So, what do we do?"

"Let's first find the prince."

Aban nods. "Good idea."

"Muriel!" King Kalen yells as soon as she and Kyla enter the throne room. He shoves his trident into the nearest guard's hands and swims forward. He scooped Muriel into a tight hug. "Are you all right? What happened?"

Muriel says nothing and slowly hugs him back.

He frowns and pulls back, holding her head in his hands. "Sweetheart- ..." He slowly looks down at the human dress she is wearing. "Muriel?"

She blinks a few times, tears welling up.

"She was with the humans!" Kyla snaps. "She was with one of the men! She stole one of Minerva's potions to turn into a human!"

King Kalen looks at her before Muriel. "Muriel?"

Muriel looks into his eyes, begging her to believe him. She shakes her head.

"She lost her voice because Minerva put a safeguard on the potion," Kyla says, moving closer.

King Kalen frowns and looks to look at her. "You went to Minerva?"

Kyla blinks a few times. "You know so that Muriel could get her tail back."

"Why didn't you come speak to me? You know I don't want you near her," King Kalen says.

Kyla frowns. "The human was after her! I had to move quickly! Why are you mad at me? Muriel's the one who left for a human!"

King Kalen strokes Muriel's cheek. "From what I've heard from Percy, that might not have been the only reason." He looks at Kyla.

Muriel flinches. Had Percy told him?

Kyla tenses before looking away. "Why should you believe him? He's just a leech here and believes anything that she tells him."

Muriel's hands snap into fists, and she goes to swim at her.

King Kalen catches her arm.

Muriel looks at him before sneering at Kyla.

"Percy never had a family, so we raised him alongside you. That fell through a little when your mother died as he was closer to her," King Kalen says.

Muriel blinks a few times before looking at him.

He looks down at her. "You didn't know?"

Muriel shakes her head.

King Kalen lets out a long breath. He pulls Muriel into another hug. "I need to call off the search parties. Amber!"