Chapter 5

For a second, Philip's head slips underwater. His heart is pounding, and he prays that she isn't about to drown him.

The mermaid helps him to the surface and stares at him as he treads water. She moves closer before gently resting her forehead against his. A second later, she pulls back, shaking her head. She gives a weak smile before quickly diving under and speeding away.

Philip waits for a moment before swimming back to the ship, where Caleb is ready to help him on board. "I was scared for a moment."

"You can't come back out to sea," Caleb says, grabbing his arm.

Muriel's shoulders droop, hearing what the guard says. She had only swum around to the other side of the ship.

"And why not?" Philip asks.

"It's getting too dangerous. That mermaid has claimed you or something. What if she drags you under?" the guard asks.

"I don't believe you she would-"

"Philip, you haven't even spoken to her. Even if you did, there is no way you can trust her, okay? You have a throne to inherit. You can't if a mermaid takes you."

Philip huffs.

Muriel bites her lip, her face turning red. "I should not have leaned in like that. What was I thinking? What was I expecting?" She bangs both sides of her head. "Flounder is right; I can't be around him." She bites her lip, a want to get to know him better growing inside. She shakes her head. No, no, she will fight this. Mermaids and humans don't go together, that's that. She glances at the ship before shaking her head and swimming away. She heads home.

"Muriel! You were caught again?!" Percy says, swimming up and hugging her. "Are you all right?"

"How did you know?" she mumbles.

"Kyla told everyone."

Muriel's face turns bright red.

Percy takes her hand. "Come, you need to see your father before he launches a rescue."

She nods and lets him pull her into the throne room where King Kalen is speaking with his guards.

"Muriel!" King Kalen exclaims, pushing past his guards. He squeezes Muriel in a tight hug. "Thank goodness you're all right! Kyla said the humans captured-"

"I'm fine," Muriel says, pushing out of his arms so she can look him in the face. She takes a deep breath. "Kyla has a habit of bothering the humans while they're trying to catch fish. The net was coming so I pushed her out of the way-"

"That's a lie!" Kyla yells.

Muriel scowls at her. "As soon as the humans saw me, they gently set the net down. Only one of the humans moved forward to help me untangle from the net and then cleaned and wrapped my wounds from accidentally being hit against the side. See." She gestures to the bandages.

King Kalen had already noticed but was willing to wait to hear her story. He places a hand on her cheek. "They didn't hurt you?"

Muriel leans her head against it. "No. They were very kind and gentle."

"Father, aren't you going to do anything about the humans?!" Kyla yells.

King Kalen looks at her, his eyebrows furrowed together. "Just because the humans are afraid of us, doesn't mean you should be taking advantage of it."

"Of course you believe Muriel. You always believed widdle Muriel. Humans caused the death of your wife!"

"It was an accident, and the humans have shown that!" King Kalen snaps. "I miss your mother, but I understand what happened was an accident, as should you!"