Chapter 15

The next morning Muriel wakes up early, finding it hard to sleep. She gets out of bed and struggles over to the bay window. She sits there and looks out the window. It only looks into the courtyards. She sighs and tries to get herself dressed, only to fall over. She gives a silent whimper and crawls over to the bell. She pulls it a few times.

A minute later, Caroline walks in to see Muriel on the floor, half covered by a dress. "Need some help?"

Muriel nods.

Caroline smiles and helps her dress.

"You're up early," Caroline says when she finishes up with Muriel's hair. "Couldn't sleep?"

Muriel nods.

"It's going to be okay. How about we take the chance that no one is around and I can teach you how to read and write. Although now it might be easier because we can compare languages."

Muriel nods.

Caroline helps her to the library.

They spend over an hour, and by the end, Muriel has a better handle on how humans write.

"Did you write that?"

Muriel jumps and looks up to see Philip. She nods as she gets up to curtsy.

Philip smiles. "It's all right; just stay seated. That's amazing, you're picking this up quickly."

Muriel smiles a little.

He sits on the other side of her. "Look, I wanted to apologize for my parents yesterday. I could tell it made you feel very uncomfortable. I mean, yes, it's normal for us but clearly isn't for you. So, I'm sorry."

Muriel nods.

"Just so you know, a princess will be coming soon. Every so often, we get visits from different kings to renew peace and possibly strengthen our union with marriage," he says.

Muriel frowns a little.

"Muriel, I understand that's not the life you came from, but it's life here. You need to understand this is how we live. Sometimes we go into marriage just because of the other's rank or wealth. Love in a marriage might only come after and often does. Also, there's usually a large age difference as young men aren't able to properly support a wife and family."

She looks away and sighs. She pulls the slate closer. "Are you engaged?" she writes, her spelling slightly off but readable.

Philip shakes his head. "I'm hoping to be able to create a bond with the woman before we marry. A bond for her, not her looks as I know sometimes women are just looked at for their beauty or jewels. And it's harder for me as I can marry outside this, but normally I marry royalty."

Muriel nods as she holds in her sigh. She focuses back on her work. She looks up just enough to wave at Caleb.

Caleb waves back.

"I have to go," Caroline says, getting up. "The other servants are being somewhat understanding, but any free moment they'd like me back in the infirmary or the kitchen."

Muriel grabs her wrist, a pleading look for her not to go. It's not that she isn't entirely comfortable with Philip, but as Caroline knows, she finds herself more comfortable. She glances over at Caleb before back at Caroline.

"Nothing's going to happen. Besides, Caleb is there and will help if something somehow does happen, okay?" Caroline whispers in her ear.

Muriel nods and reluctantly lets her go.

"I can go if need be," Philip says, starting to get up.

Muriel pulls him back down, shaking her head. She draws the slate closer. "Enjoy her company," she writes.