Chapter 20

Philip and Muriel stop and look to see a mermaid there, her arms hanging over the ship's rail. Philip backs away, getting Muriel behind her. "Is there something wrong?"

The mermaid pushes herself up and sits on the railing.

All the sailors have stopped what they're doing and stare at her.

"I'm looking for my sister," she says.

Muriel swallows. That's Kyla.

"We have no mermaids here," Philip says.

She chuckles, examining her sharp nails. "That woman behind you." She locks eyes with Muriel. "This is a new low, Muriel! Get over here!"

Muriel clings to the back of Philip's shirt.

Kyla scowls and grabs Philip's arm and pulls him forward, knowing Muriel will follow as she's holding onto him. She grabs Muriel's arm in a tight fist and shoves Philip away.

"Muriel! Let her go!" Philip snaps.

Caleb moves forward and grabs his arm.

Muriel struggles with Kyla's grip.

Kyla laughs. "Are you trying to command me around, human? Besides, this is my little sister. She's in trouble!"

Philip looks at her before looking at Muriel. "Muriel?"

Muriel looks away, her face turning red.

"We're going right back to Minerva and getting you your tail back!" Kyla says before dragging her into the water.

"Muriel!" Philip cries out, pulling out of Caleb's grasp and running to the railing.

It takes a moment before Muriel's head pops out. She coughs out some water.

"No drowning," Kyla mutters, hitting her back.

Muriel struggles with Kyla's tight grip, reaching for Philip, still coughing.

"Quit it!" Kyla snaps, whacking the back of her head.

Muriel flinches and starts trembling.

"Don't hurt her! Please," Philip says, trying to break free from Caleb.

Kyla glares at him. "My little sister left for a human. How pathetic. I'm surprised you didn't recognize her. Weren't you on the ship when you caught her?"

"What? ..." Philip studies Muriel for a moment before he realizes where he's seen her red hair. "Muriel..."

Muriel can't meet his eyes. She cringes.

"Now, deep breath, Muriel," Kyla says before dragging her under.

"NO!!" Philip yells. "Let me go, Caleb!"

"I won't let you go to drown!" Caleb snaps. He looks back at the sailors. "Get us back to shore!"

"What about Muriel?!" Philip yells.

Caleb turns around, tightly holding his shoulders. "There is nothing you can do. They could end up drowning you!"

"She could drown Muriel! Muriel looked scared; we can't just leave her."

"Philip!" Caleb snapped, shaking him. "You can't! You can't keep up with her, and trying to go after could end in your death! I won't allow that! You have a duty to the throne! If there is anything to figure out, I will be. You will stay put in the palace!"

Philip scowls, trying to pull away from Caleb's tight grip. "Caleb-"

"I'm your bodyguard. It is my job to protect you. If you drowned, it would be in my head, remember that. The action of jumping into the water affects more than just you! It affects me, Caroline, your parents, the kingdom, and possibly others! The mermaid isn't trying to drown Muriel but get her tail back! Okay?!"