Chapter 11

"Come on, Caleb, please. Don't you trust me?" Caroline asks, placing a hand on her chest with big eyes.

Caleb blinks a few times. "Some. But I don't trust him at all."

Caroline folds her arms across her chest. "But you went and did it."

"Caroline, you can't deny that I am stronger than you. That's a fact. Can you please stop making it sound like I'm trying to control you, I'm not."

She huffs and hugs him from behind. "I know you're not. But you're sometimes a tad overprotective. Some days I'm surprised you let me do anything."

"You can't deny that you tend to get yourself in trouble."

She smirks. "Phhhf. Me? Never."

Caleb rolls his eyes. "Promise me, please. We already lost the rest of our family; I don't want to lose you too."

"Caleb, I know you're trying to protect me, but you could die if he gets mad. I don't want you to die. I'll stay on land where he can't easily get me. And I'll bring the dagger you gave me."

"That could make it worse," Caleb mumbles. "You know it is forbidden to catch, let alone harm a merperson."

Caroline's shoulders slump. "Why can't you let me protect you?"

"Because I am older."

She gives a humph. "I should get back to work as Muriel clearly doesn't need me around."

Caleb nods before catching her wrist. "Caroline."

She huffs and pulls away. "Caleb, I'm going, okay? You can meet me there, but I'm scared of what he'll do to you if you don't go. I'm already scared daily because of your job, and I let you do that. I know you're looking out for my welfare, and I know you don't actually control that much of my life, but please let me do this."

Caleb's hands roll into fists. "But Caroline-"

"Caleb."

He sighs. "Fine. But if you get even a scratch, you're never going again."

Caroline smiles and hugs him tightly from behind. "It'll be all right."

"You don't know that," Caleb mutters, patting her hands. "Keep your distance and be respectful. Now get going before you get in trouble."

"Yes my dear brother," Caroline says, kissing him on the cheek before rushing off.

Caleb gives a long sigh.

That night Percy waits as close to shore as he can, trying to spot Caleb. He lets out a long breath. He doesn't want to hurt him but knows he has to if Caleb doesn't listen. He needs to know what's going on with Muriel to try and help ensure her safety.

"Hello? Percy? That was his name, right?" a female voice whispers as she approaches the water.

Percy peeks out to see a servant, similar looking to Caleb. He pokes his head out so she can barely see him as it's dark. "And I thought he said he wouldn't send his sister."

It takes the woman and moment to spot him. "He wasn't going to, I demanded it. The last thing I want is something to happen to my brother because he was unable to show up for a few days."

Percy stares at her for a moment. "Come closer. Otherwise, someone is going to catch us talking."

She shakes her head. "Caleb told me not to. You're still a man, and you could easily drown me."

Percy rubs his forehead. "And you're going to get caught out here, talking to a male voice?"

"Women are second class people anyway. If a man thought I was doing something wrong in the water, they would believe him over me. But I'm not here to talk about that, but about Muriel."