Chapter 19

Philip leads Princess Katherine onto the balcony. "Are you all right? You seemed urgent for fresh air."

She nods and heads out onto the balcony. She looks out. She sees four figures, two onshore and two on the rocks, hugging. It looks like a man hugging a woman. She squints because it's getting dark but can't make them out anymore. "I think we need to talk."

"About what?" Philip asks, joining her at the railing.

She lets out a long breath and turns to face him. "May I be blunt?"

"Of course-"

"Stop this!"

Philip jumps and blinks a few times. "Stop what?"

She rubs her forehead. "Prince Philip, you love Muriel, don't you?"

He opens then shuts his mouth. He swallows. "I-I-..." He hangs his head.

"What are you doing? You're half ignoring her."

He looks away. "We're returning her to her family. I can't just-"

"You can wait until you find them. Don't give up already. You're hurting and confusing her!" Princess Katherine snaps. "You're nice, you really are. I wanted to see if maybe we could get together, but your heart is taken, I'll respect that."

Philip looks away. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lead you on," he whispers.

She places her hand over his and squeezes. "You need to apologize to her."

Philip nods. "What if she's mad at me?"

"There's a high chance she will be. But if she cares about you as much as it seems, she will eventually forgive you. Just be patient, okay."

Philip nods.

"Good." She straightens. "And if things don't work out, send me a letter."

Philip snickers. "Thanks."

She smiles. "Treat her right. None of this making decisions on your own. Talk to her about it."

Philip nods. "Okay." He stands and offers his arm. "Would you like another dance? Just as friends."

She smiles and takes it. "I'd like that."

He smiles and leads her back inside.

Below Percy gives an inward sigh of relief when they leave. He pulls back a little and pushes some hair out of her face. He smiles a little. "I see you have some of your own curls."

Muriel gives a small smile that quickly fades.

"You look beautiful."

She leans forward and hits her head against his shoulder.

He sighs and rubs her back again. "You need to sit up and stop hugging me if you want to talk."

She sighs before sitting up. She pulls out her slate. "I don't think Philip likes me."

He frowns slightly before looking at her. "Why not?"

"A princess came. He hangs around her more, and it feels like he's ignoring me."

His shoulders stiffen. "What."

Muriel just shrugs and hugs herself.

"Muriel."

She puts her head in her hands.

He stares at her for a moment. "No, Muriel, it's not you." He takes her shoulders. "Look at me. You don't need to try and impress him. If you and he are going to work in a relationship, he should like you for you. Okay?"