Chapter 8

After Muriel eats breakfast, Caroline and Caleb help her outside to the garden.

Muriel's face lights up a little as she leans forward to smell a flower. She smiles.

"Just don't pick the flowers," Caroline says.

Muriel stops from yanking on the flower and nods, pulling her hand away.

"I have to go, but Caleb will stay with you," Caroline says. "Are you okay with that?"

Muriel nods.

Caleb stands there and watches as Muriel slides off the bench to get closer to the flowers.

A moment later, Philip shows up. "Hey."

Muriel looks up and smiles. She waves.

He squats next to her. "You like flowers?"

Muriel nods.

"Wait here." He gets up and walks away.

Muriel frowns and looks over at Caleb.

Caleb shrugs.

Philip returns with some flowers and sits behind her. He weaves the flowers into her hair.

When he finishes, Muriel feels her hair before turning and smiling at Philip. She gives a nod.

He smiles. "No problem. How is your walking?"

Muriel shrugs, looking away.

"I can help if you'd like."

Caleb steps forward to stop him.

Muriel shrugs before taking his outstretched hand. Her legs shake a little as he helps her to her feet. She shudders at first but squares her shoulders with a look of determination.

"Do you need help?" Caleb asks, moving closer.

Muriel shakes her head.

Philip looks at her before Caleb. "I guess that means we're fine."

Caleb gives a slow nod.

A minute later, Muriel steps on the hem of her dress and falls forward.

Philip tries to catch her, but then both end up falling to the ground. He sits up and groans, holding his head. "Are you all right?" He stops and stares at Muriel, who is now inches from his face.

Caleb rushes forward and helps Muriel off of Philip before helping Philip up. "Are you two all right?"

They both nod.

"Maybe I should help next time," Caleb says. "She needs her hands somewhat free so that she can hold up her dress. Always remember to hold up your skirt when you walk upstairs."

Muriel nods. She takes a deep breath before pushing herself to her feet. She teeters for a moment but holds out her hands to stop either man from helping her. She stumbles forward a step and sways for a moment; her arms stretched out. She swallows and takes another step, watching her feet, so she doesn't step on her dress again.

Philip smiles and stands in front. "Good job, keep walking."

Muriel nods and swallows.

It takes a few minutes, but she soon enough half falls into his arms.

"Well done," he says with a smile.

Muriel looks away, her face turning red.

Philip helps her stand up straight. "When women walk with men, they can hold their arm."