Chapter 9

"I'll give you a minute," Percy says.

"My prince has run into the princess three times. When she was first accidentally caught and when she was hurt. He helped her, and when he was hurt, she returned my prince to the castle. The last was when she got caught again. B-by the third time I assumed she had developed a crush-"

Percy's grip tightens. "And you took her?!"

"We-we didn't." The guard swallows before gently pulling on Percy's hand, begging him to loosen up. He takes a few deep breaths. "Tha-that singing... The prince said the woman who saved him sang like that. We were out and heard it again, so Philip followed. We found a woman in the underground cave, stripped of all lower garments and only wearing this shirt. That tunnel led to Minerva."

Percy loosens some. "Impossible, we can't change our tail into legs. And our skin-"

"The woman can't speak but acts as if she used to. She has the strength to walk but can't and can't read or write. She isn't familiar with drinking water, prefers to move her legs together and doesn't understand that women aren't supposed to show their legs. Neither did she know that women can marry at sixteen or younger, and is most determined around the prince."

Percy lets go and backs away, shaking his head. "No." He puts his head in his hand.

The guard slips underwater for a moment before resurfacing. He coughs a few times and rubs his neck. He takes a few more deep breaths. "My sister and I have been around her the most. It was only today that it clicked. When a leaf fell in the prince's hair, she took the chance to pull his curls when taking it out. She was also bruised."

Percy's hand drops. "Bruised? Why would she be bruised?"

"A sibling? That's what it sounded like when my sister talked to her about her family."

Percy's hands snap into fists. "Kyla. She better have not dared lay a finger on Muriel!"

"She would have needed a reason to leave," the guard whispers.

Percy shakes his head. "No, it can't be true. She wouldn't just leave... You found her in the caves?"

The guard nods.

"Take me there."

The guard blinks a few times. "What?"

"Take me there. There should have been one more thing. I can't swim around, or Minerva will see me. Try anything, and you will feel my teeth and nails."

The guard swallows and nods. He wades closer to shore before picking Percy up. "What's your name?"

He's quiet for a moment. "Percy. And yours?"

"My name is Caleb."

Percy nods. "Well then, Caleb, get moving."

He lets out a long breath and glances around. When he's satisfied that no one is in sight, he hurries towards the caves lest anyone see him holding a merman.

Soon enough, they reach the cave entrance. "Just a moment, I need to grab the torch," Caleb says before setting Percy down as gently as possible.

Percy, able to see better than Caleb, watches as Caleb grabs and lights the torch.

Caleb bends down and hands it to Percy. "Here. I can't carry you and the torch."

"Fair enough," Percy says, taking it.

Caleb picks Percy up again and continues walking.

"This is the place?" Percy asks when he stops.