Chapter 14

With help, Caroline finds Muriel on the beach, staring at the water.

She is sitting there in the sand like she fell and doesn't care to get up. A few tears run down her cheeks.

"Muriel?" Caroline whispers, sitting next to her.

Muriel looks away.

"Are you all right?"

Muriel shrugs, wiping away her tears.

"Came to a shock that we mostly marry just to make kids?"

She gives another shrug before sniffing and letting out a shaking breath. She puts her head in her hands. A moment later, she wipes away her tears. She tries to write, 'alone' in the sand.

Caroline takes a deep breath. "So you can get your tail and voice back from Minerva?"

Muriel freezes, her eyes wide.

Caroline places her hand on hers. "Calm down. Caleb guessed. We've known for a few days... We've even been talking to Percy-"

Muriel grabs onto her arm, a begging look in her eyes.

Caroline sighs. "Sure. We can figure out a way for you to see him. Can you explain what you agreed to?"

She shakes her head.

"Or you'll turn back into a mermaid?"

Muriel shrinks down.

"Caleb and I noticed. Which means we can help if something goes wrong."

Muriel hits her head against Caroline's shoulder.

Caroline rubs her back. "Do you regret your decision?"

Muriel shrugs.

"A little?" Caroline asks, tilting her head a little.

She nods.

"You're more scared now that you'll get married off?"

Muriel nods, hugging Caroline's arm.

Caroline pulls her into her arms. "Don't worry, Caleb and I will protect you. We'll figure something out."

She nods.

Meanwhile, underwater, King Kalen sighs as he swims through the dark cave. He glances over his shoulder to ensure none of his guards are following him. He turns forward and swims up to the bars of the cell. "Minerva!" he snaps, knocking his trident against the bars.

Minerva peeks out a smile pulling at her lips. "Oh, hello brother-"

"Don't call me that," he snaps. "We only share the same mother."

She rolls her eyes. "You used to call me sister."

He grits his teeth. "I was willing to give you a chance to ignore that my mother was unfaithful to my father and slept with another man outside her species. But you went too far."

"So sad, my father's people won't take me, and neither will my mother's," Minerva says, sliding her arms through the bars. "Even the humans."

"While with us, you caused trouble against the humans! Push too much, and they will push back. We have peace, and I prefer to keep it that way."

She snorts and straightens. "You'd make a peace treaty with them if possible."

King Kalen lets out a long breath.

"So, there must be a reason you came to see me. You don't just visit, you must be desperate," she says, straightening and grasping the bars. "How can I help you, my king?" She gives a taunting smile.