Chapter 23

Philip glances upwards when something floats over them.

It is an out of control ship.

Philip looks at Minerva.

Minerva smirks. "You going to go save your humans? You can't save your precious Muriel."

Philip looks at Muriel.

Muriel motions for him to go.

He swallows before nodding and speeding upwards. When his head breaks through the surface, he sees the sailors trying to control the ship. He looks down at himself, remembering he looks different. He glances back at Muriel before shaking his head and swimming towards the boat.

"Philip? Is that you?" Caleb yells, leaning over the side.

Philip flinches. "He-hey Caleb!"

Minerva watches for a moment as Philip swims after the ship before she hugs Muriel. "You're all mine, my dear princess."

Muriel trembles and puts her head in her hands.

"Oh, you didn't think we would find the little prince, did you?" she asks, cupping her chin.

Muriel bites her lip and looks away.

Minerva grabs her throat.

"Minerva! Let my daughter go!" King Kalen yells, swimming into view with guards behind him.

Minerva smirks and holds Muriel in a headlock. "No, she's mine." She reaches into her bag and tosses the contract at him.

King Kalen grabs it and reads it over. All the colour drains from his face. "Muriel," he whispers, looking at her.

Muriel hangs her head.

"Rip it up if you want, it's still binding without the piece of paper. Your daughter gave herself up for me, forever," Minerva says. "I can do whatever I wish with her." She digs her nails into Muriel's face with a grin. "Whatever."

"Stop!" King Kalen yells, pointing his trident at her.

Minerva smirks. "What are you doing to do? You can't counteract the contract. She is bound to me until the day she dies."

Muriel squirms, trying to get her off.

King Kalen grits his teeth. "What do you want?"

Minerva smirks. "I'm surprised widdle Flounder isn't here. He's always been attached to Muriel."

King Kalen scowls. "I wouldn't have let him come. I know if you could have, you would have dragged him along with you. Word has it that you've been poisoning one of my daughter's minds."

Minerva gives an innocent shrug. "Perhaps. She came to me because widdle Muriel was being a bit of a pest," she says, looking at Muriel and digging her nails harder.

"Let her go!" Percy yells, swimming up. In tow is a mermaid.

Minerva smirks. "Speak of the devil. You're too late, little Flounder, she's mine. We made a deal."

Percy flinches. "Muriel?"

Muriel looks away.

"What do you want for Muriel?" Percy asks.

Minerva is quiet for a moment. "The king's trident. I know about its power, the magic stored in there."

King Kalen's grip tightens on his trident.

"You can keep your throne, but you don't even use the power of that trident," Minerva says. "What means more to you, your power or your daughter?" She tightens her grip on Muriel, shoving her pinkie nail in her gills.