38

"LETS GOO!!!" I scream as we're finally out of the tunnel for warm ups. All the USA fans scream and cheer. I feel like Tom Brady when he starts hyping up the crowd.  Today is our first match of the World Cup, agaisnt Thailand. Goalkeepers are out for warm up first, so I walk over to our goalkeeper coach. Ashlyn and Alyssa behind me. We start stretching, warming up.

"Here" I'm handed wrist tape, and I start to tape them up. I help Ash, and Alyssa with theirs. We start doing long passes, and shootings. Unfortunately I'm not playing today, Alyssa is. Which I'm glad because they deserve playing time, especially in the world cup. It's been a excruciating few days, since we're the last group.

Time Skip

"It's weird isn't it?"

"It sure is but it doesn't really affect me. I want you guys to play. You guys have been earning it for years" I tell Ash as we watch the game begin. The game goes steady, we take shots as much as we can. Thailand is doing pretty good.

"So between us, what are you planning to do? After retirement?"

"Well I went to college in hopes of becoming a coach, so I think that's what I'll start with. Coaching" I tell her as I remind myself of what retirement is going to look like. Start off small, maybe. Or assistant coach to some college.

"Coach us" she tells me, and I start laughing while she gives me a serious look.

"Ooh you're being serious?"

"Of course, dude you know us so well already. You know how we play, and you know what each one of us is capable of." She tells me seriously.

"Ash.. I mean.. I would love nothing more then to still be a part of this team but.. there's just to many decisions as a coach I would have to make. Friendships that will be jeopardized.. I'll think on it. Alright?"

"I'll hold you on that" she tells me. Next then you know, the crowd starts getting louder. I advert my attention back on to the  game. Alex tabs the ball into goal.

"YEAH ALEX!!" We scream, we jump up from the bench to cheer.

We're into half time, up 3 goals. I walk behind Rose and Horan, and ruffle their hairs. "So proud of you girls" I tell them, as I wrap my arms around their shoulders. "In fact, I'm proud of all you girls, lets have a good first game of the world cup aye?"

"Whoo!!"

We all sit down in our chairs, waiting for Coach. Mal holds my hand, and I squeeze hers. Hoping to ease her nerves a little. Jill starts her talk, and the game plan. I tune out for most of it because I honestly already know what she'll be saying. Nothing new, what I do miss is Abby's speeches. Thailand isn't a big competition but I miss Abby Wambach. It feels weird without her, cause I'd always go to World Cups with her.

"What are you thinking about baby?"

Christen looks at me worriedly, I've must have zoned out completely.

"I'm fine Love, I've just been thinking about the previous World Cups. Players we use to have" I tell her as I grab her hands, pulling her closer to me. She stands between my legs, now looking down on me. She cups my face, almost ignoring what I said.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm great!" I tell her sincerely, she shakes her head.

"Holland, you are drenched in sweat and your leg is nonstop moving." I look down to my lap, and realize she was right. I hadn't really noticed, my shirt is wet too. I'm not even hot though, if anything this locker room is cold.

"I'm get Dawn"

"Wait no please" I get ahold of her hand, a few of our teammates looking at us.

"Holland, you look pale. Are you sure your okay?" Mal asks me, as she gently puts her arm on my shoulder. Everyone starts telling me I should get checked. I ignore them, as I go into my thoughts. I keep telling myself their just side effects, because they are. I can't sleep well at night, sometimes I feel nausea. So I stopped taking the medication, I'm just having withdrawl symptoms. It's been a week, and I didn't expect it to hit my like train. I can't lie though, I'm craving it so bad.

"I said I'm fine!" I yell finally not letting my head muffle their voices. Christen flinches on my hold, and everyone else looks stunned. The locker room stayed quiet for the remaining mins of our 15.

We're back onto the field, and I take a seat farthest away from everyone. I don't need them telling me how I feel, when I know how I feel. The game starts, and that's all that has my attention right now, besides the underlying craving. Distraction can help, but only for a little while. I look to the staff, their having some type of conversation with Krashlyn. Dawn looks my way, and realizes I'm already looking at them. No way,.. they told her. Fuck! I bang on the seat in front of me. Dawn walks over to me.

"Let's go"

I get up from my seat, and I follow her out. We're about to walk past Ashlyn and Ali.

I shove Ashlyn, "Stay of my business!", Dawn grabs my arm, ushering me away.

Ashlyn POV

"I've never seen her lash out like that"  Ali whispers, and I rub my chest. It hurts a little, since Holland is stronger then us goalkeepers. She didn't hold back, and we've never seen her like that. Let alone, shove someone.

"Hey what the heck just happened?" Christen walks to us shocked, and a concerning look. Like her, and many others are staring at us. Even some fans that have close seats.

"We told Dawn about Holland, about how sick she looks. And when Dawn went to go get her, she walked over to us and shoved Ashlyn. Telling her to stay out of her business." Ali tells Christen, sadness gleaming in her eyes. Ali pulls her in for a hug, as she tries to hold back tears. I'm starting to grow fear out of the lash out, Holland is not okay. I just need to make sure, she doesn't do anything to anyone else on the team. She wouldn't hurt anyone but the way she shoved me. Her eyes were bloodshot red, and I can tell she was furious.

"How can someone sweet and nice, because agressive in a matter of seconds. Not to long ago, her and I were just talking about retirement.. and she was happy in the locker room.."