ONE

Aries sobbed while looking down at little Avani.

"Hey, little one." Aries sniffed. "I won't be able to take care of you, okay? You need to be strong."

Little Avani looked at her dying mother and widened her big green eyes.

Aries smiled through her tears. "You're going to have to take my job, Princess. Promise me something. You will make life live. You will do a better job than I. Most importantly, you will complete this mission and make sure no one takes you for granted. No one."

She scanned her surroundings.

People were scrambling away, panicking, and there was nothing she could do about it.

Aries looked at her delicate daughter one last time and said, "Earth."

Suddenly, little Avani disappeared through the thick Mars air.

"I love you." Aries sobbed as she crumbled to the floor, turned into dust and blown away by the furious winds.

At that exact moment, Mars exploded with lava, dust, and darkness.

All the people on the planet cried out, but there was nothing left to cry for anymore.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

~Present time~

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Avani walked among the halls of her private high school with her best friend, Lanny by her side.

Avani's eyes were the colour of the green grass, her beautiful straight brown hair floated above her elbows, and her rosy cheeks always looked like they reflected the heat.

She lived with her step-mother since her blood-related mom disappeared ever since Avani's birth.

She didn't know her real last name, but the only thing she knew was that she had a mission.

All she could remember is her mother telling her something about making life live and not taking something for granted.

She also remembered being somewhere . And it definitely wasn't here-

"Hello? Earth to Avani!!" Lanny waved her hand in front of Avani.

"Huh? Oh, sorry."

Lanny rolled her eyes again.

"I was just saying how you always zone out on me, and now you're doing it again!"

Avani blushed. "I'm sorry, I was just thinking about my mom again."

Lanny understood, she was also an adopted child. However, her parents died in a car accident when she was five instead of just disappearing to nowhere.

Unlike Avani's mother.

She even tried to test her DNA once and she didn't match anyone.

It was almost as if God himself accidentally tossed one of his creations down.

Avani cocked an eyebrow.

Yeah, right. A useless creation.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"OW!" Avani yelped out in pain suddenly.

All of the eyes in the classroom raised from their books and glared at Avani

Lanny looked at Avani. "Hey, you good?"

Avani nodded.

"I just- I don't feel so good."

The teacher gave Avani and Lanny a head nod, indicating that she gave them permission to leave.

Lanny almost ran Avani to the nurse's office but Avani ran to the other direction; the bathroom.

Avani ran to the toilet and barfed her lunch-

Wait.

That wasn't her lunch.

She looked at her vomit.

It was...

Black.

Greasy.

Dirty.

Avani's breathing fastened as she started going over all the things she's eaten.

Peas, lettuce salad, an apple.

Nothing else.

Avani gagged and kept barfing up mysterious things.

A piece of plastic came out.

Plastic?

Avani yanked at the pieces of toilet paper and cautiously picked up the plastic.

She ran and rinsed it under the sink.

"Avani?" Lanny called from outside of the bathroom.

"One second!"

Avani finally rinsed the black greasy stuff off of the plastic and realized what it was.

A plastic bottle.

Avani looked in the mirror and black grease was all over her mouth.

She tried hard not to scream at her reflection.

"Deep breathes....1....2...3," she told herself.

Avani gulped, was this what her mother told her about? The mission?

If so, what even is it? To find out what this greasy thing was?

She quickly rinsed her mouth and made sure there wasn't any sign of black and walked out.

"Ohmygosh,youwereinthereforsolongandIjustfreakedoutandalmoststartedcryingandyouwouldn'tcomingoutanditwasjustso-" 

"Lanny! I'm fine! Now can you please talk properly?" Avani lied.

"Okay...okay...you need to go home."

Avani nodded, "I'll call my step-mom."

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"Hey lil sis! Heard you were sick today," said Avani's big step-brother, Mateo.

"Yeah, I had an upset stomach."

"Well, here," he said, handing her a plastic bottle of water. "Drink some, it'll help."

Plastic bottled water.

Avani cracked a small smile and said thank you while Mateo walked up to his room.

Avani quickly tossed the water to the other side of the bed and ran to her window.

She started noticing all the things she didn't notice before.

The factories that released the black smoke, a lady that tossed a wrapper on the ground, and so much more.

Her eyes darted around her neighbourhood and saw how much garbage was around.

Could this be what her mother was warning her about?

She looked outside again.

A determined expression appeared on her face.

Whether or not if she was Earth itself, she needed to stop all these people from doing what they were doing.

But the question is...

How?

How could, she, a shy teenager who couldn't even keep up with her school work, going to stop the world from abusing the planet?

Avani shook off the uneasiness and made a mental note for herself.

Save the Earth before it's too late.