EIGHTEEN

Jaxson nodded. "It makes sense. You are the only thing Paytra wants."

"Paytra?!" Avani flung her arms. "Everyone keeps talking about her and I don't have the slightest idea what or who she even is!"

Jaxson exchanged glances with the guy in the corner again and looked back at Avani. "We think you should hide."

"Hide?!" Avani was furious, didn't they just see what she was capable of? "I'm more powerful than all of you combined-"

"Which means you're also more valuable than all of us combined."

Silence.

"You know what?" the woman stepped out. "We need to tell her."

Avani raged.

"Are you kidding?! People are still keeping secrets from me?! Who am I supposed trust anyone if this just keep happening-"

"You can't."

Avani whipped her head around and there stood Azalea, Datura, and Razor.

All looking insanely mad.

"Avani, I don't know what Cole told you-"

"Cole is dead!" Avani felt tears at the corner of her eyes again. "Because of you!"

Azalea's eyes darkened. "That was for the greater good."

Avani's sadness suddenly turned itself into rage. "You took away the only person who understood me."

Azalea frowned. "I understood you-"

"Stop with the lying. You took away the only one who could talk to me. And now you're going to pay."

Her eyes changed to a dangerous green colour before she charged.

"Avani!" called a faint voice.

Avani looked around. "Huh?"

"Avani!" The voice got closer.

"Who is it?"

Avani ran around the mist covered grass, looking for the caller. "Hello?"

"Avani, you need to stop this madness before you kill everyone!"

She kept turning, but no one was there. "What?"

Then Cole's pale ghost face came into view. "Avani, control yourself."

Avani jerked her head to one side as her eyes slowly faded back into their normal forest green colour.

She looked around.

Countless bodies laid on the ground.

Dead.

She was on top of a bloody Datura who was using her hands to block her face and Jaxson was trying to hold her back.

Avani got up and Jaxson flinched, holding his head.

"...Jaxson?"

He slowly unwrapped himself. "I-I thought you were going to kill me?"

He had a scratch across his face, a bruise on around his jaw, and his arm was bleeding.

"Kill you? You mean..."

Avani immediately broke down.

"Lady Earthborn? What's wrong?"

"Stop calling me that!" Avani shrieked and kept weeping.

"I'm sorry, Lady- I mean, Avani."

Avani looked up through her tears. "What did I do?"