Chapter 9

She started running with all she had at the very moment the word 'three' had tumbled Raiden's lips

She started running with all she had at the very moment the word 'three' had tumbled Raiden's lips. Léda kept glancing at him. His muscles worked under his skin, straining and pulling like watching a panther in motion. His shoulders rippled as he helped his body to move forwards. His feet barely touched the ground, like he was stepping on tiny stones, almost running on his tip toes. He was so ripped, he reminded her of those biology dolls they used during classes – all muscles, no fat at all.

"Eyes ahead," he instructed and her cheeks flushed, not only by the intense speed she dictated. She was hoping he wouldn't realize she was stealing glances at him, he seemed to be so focused. But of course, nothing seemed to fly by him.

Drops of sweat appeared at her brows. The weather was at a pleasant temperature and even though the sun wasn't as hot as during the summer she felt it's warmth on her skin. They ran side by side for a couple of minutes but after a while Raiden slowed down and disappeared from her sight.

Léda smirked, ridiculously proud of herself. She knew it must have been a terrible mistake, a one time fluke that he'd caught her. A mistake that cost her freedom. She slowed down a little bit, assuming she had no reason to run her heart out when Raiden was nowhere to be seen anyway. Her pace was a nice jogging one that allowed her to look around more.

She wiped her forehead off with the back of her hand and cackled – thinking it was a small wonder they didn't paint the trees and grass black or white. She'd bet winter and snow was a true blessing around the Bastion. Léda turned on the pavement that she recalled lead to the statue and stopped dead. She couldn't believe her eyes. Raiden stood there, leaning against the pedestal of the statue. She blinked in attempt to clear her vision. Maybe they put something into her food and now she was hallucinating.

"How?" She asked in disbelief, still not wanted to believe that he was there. He slowed down. He was way behind her. This made no sense. What kind of black magic did he use?

"Come here," he called to her and Léda realized she was standing still at the spot where she'd stopped. She walked over to him, her nose scrunched up, lips pulled into a pout.

"How can you be here?" She asked, accusingly.

"I used my brain," he replied and she really just wanted to punch him. Not this zen crap again. "I know the Bastion like the back of my hand. I went on a short cut."

"You cheated!" She exhaled, eyes widening. She wouldn't have taken Raiden Akiyama to be a cheater but clearly she was wrong.

"No. Like I said, I used my brain, my knowledge. It's an advantage. This is what you should have done when you were running from me; use your knowledge of the area."

"You so cheated!" He was unbelievable. He even tried to make her believe what he did was right but damn, it wasn't.

"You aren't a horse with blinders on your eyes, still the only way you seem to know is straight." Did he call her a horse? He might have said he hadn't but it sure as hell sounded like it. "Use this." He pointed at her head. "If it wasn't me after you earlier today..."