Chapter 25

"Léda?" She yelped, jumping from the bench when Raiden's shadow fell over her, his voice travelling disturbingly loud in the still air. Damn him and his ninja genes, coming from his ancestors, she grumbled on her mind. How could someone so tall and muscular move like a ballet dancer? It was like gravity had no effect on him.

Without missing a beat, she slipped the notebook under her hoody, hoping he hadn't seen it. Only god knew for how he's been creeping behind her after all.

"How come you always find me?" She asked, accusingly, narrowing her eyes at him. He was in his pj bottoms, the pair of black cotton pants hanging low on his narrow waist, the same kind of black sweater she wore loose around his broad shoulders. His thick dark hair stared into various angles, indicating he'd just gotten out of bed. This is not a look that would give her nightmares, Léda noted running her eyes over him. "Did you put a GPS tracker into me when I wasn't paying attention?"

"No but at this moment, I'm wondering if I should have," he replied with a sigh. "You aren't supposed to be here." The flames of the candle lights threw a shade of golden rays over his face and he looked almost like he was made of gold; the chiseled jaw, the high forehead, that straight nose. They were one day going to make a statue of him.

"I know, I know. I'm supposed to be sleeping. I can't, okay? I'd have never thought but apparently this place..." She motioned around, running out of words for a moment as she glanced away before she went on. "It reminds me of home, some kind of normality, makes me feel a bit more like myself." She shrugged, sitting back to the bench with a grunt. It was foolish of her to get emotional considering what the sisters had done to her and yet, here she was.

"I'm sorry," he said gently after a moment of silence falling between them. Raiden walked to her, sitting down next to Léda. She glanced at him from the corner of her eyes, surprised, almost shocked he hasn't yet tried to drag her back to her aedis by her hair.

"Sorry for what?" Seeing he didn't seem to have any intention to move, she pulled her legs under her and turned to face him. The lines on his face seemed deeper than usual, his eyes were heavy, blinking slowly; he was exhausted. Maybe there was some human in him after all. Maybe just like her, he also hasn't slept for weeks.

"That it had to happen this way. That I had to take you from your life." He looked at her, his voice pulling a veil around them, soothing and soft, making her feel warm and finally, understood.

"It isn't your fault." Léda surprised even herself that she'd said those words but there it was, she'd said it and meant it, too. "You just did what you had to do." She smiled at him half heartedly. She'd been mad at Raiden for so long, blamed him for everything that had happened; for stealing her life, for kidnapping her, for dragging her into this mess. However, Léda knew, as well if not him, someone else would have found her. "This reminds me." She pointed at him as his face softened and she felt somewhat more comfortable bringing the topic up that way. "Who is Volkov looking for?" All Raiden has done so far for her was caring for her safety, for her well being. She might not necessarily agree with his methods all the time but she started believing him that he truly just wanted the best for her.

"What do you mean?" He frowned at her, indicating he had not a single clue what she was talking about. Interesting, she thought Raiden was assigned to find the lost nephilims.

"She's looking for a girl," Léda said slowly, working against her natural distrust that in a shocking turn of events hasn't been prominent when it came to Raiden what made her slightly wary of him. My mind is a mess, I trust you so I don't trust you because you look trustworthy and hence you are not, she rolled her eyes mentally. Her brain could be annoying sometimes. "A girl who is a key for something." He wore the same expression as he had when she'd told him about the Book of Chayyliel and she didn't like it at all.

"Where did you hear this?" He raised an eyebrow, suspiciously. Léda glanced away, pursing her lips. "Léda?"

"I accidentally overheard a conversation," she mumbled with a clear of her throat. She couldn't very well reveal to him there was a secret getaway opening from her aedis. For one, she wanted to keep that hidden because she loved the virtual freedom it offered way too much and two, it wasn't her secret but Annie's.

"Accidentally? He echoed, doubt painting his voice.

"Yes, accidentally. I passed by her office and she talks very loud on the phone," she huffed, shrugging. "It's besides the point anyway. Don't you think it's important that she is looking for someone?" Raiden looked away, staring ahead for a second before moving his gaze back to her, the lines on his face deepening even more.

"Did she say anything else?" She knew she was onto something! Volkov was up to something ominous!

"No." Léda shook her head as she recalled Volkov's words. "But she seemed to be anxious, scared even. I thought you know something about it because she said her best man was on the task and that the child would be found soon, no doubt."

"We stopped looking for lost ones after I found you." Léda knitted her brows, chewing on her bottom lip. She believed it was important to find as many lost nephilims as possible in order to increase the numbers against the Maerors.

"Why?" This made no sense at all. Volkov seemed to be adamant about finding kids like Léda when she'd arrived. Why would she stop looking? Because she didn't. She was still looking but lied to Raiden. She lied to him because she wasn't looking for random nephilims but someone specific.

"The Principal said we should be concentrating more on the streets because the numbers of Maeror attacks have rise." It was easy to tell Raiden was doubting this explanation, as well. It sounded weak after what Léda had heard.

"She didn't stop looking, Raiden. She's after someone, someone who is important for some reason," she lowered her voice and leant closer to him, in spite of being alone in the chapel, paranoia sneaked on her. This was big, big enough to move Volkov out of her chair and Léda sure wouldn't mind seeing her going. She couldn't tell why but she really disliked the Principal beyond reasonable, even more so now.

"Maybe you misunderstood, Léda. You have to stop this." He brushed a lock of hair out of her face, sighing softly. A shiver ran over her spine, the touch of his skin against hers warming her cheeks and enough to distract her momentarily but only for so long.

"Stop what? Trying to find the truth out? What if I'm right and Volkov is up to something, something horrible?" She raised her voice, putting some distance between them.

"You have to stop looking for enemy behind every corner because there are more than enough without making more up. I understand you still don't like it here but you're projecting your frustrations and turning them into something that isn't real." Léda's eyes widened, his words like cold water splashed into her face. Only moments ago she'd thought he was on her side and believed her. "You should concentrate on what's important."

"I'm sorry but it seems like I'm the one who sees what's important, not you!" She huffed, standing up. "The truth is important. The fact is that something dark is going on here and you simply refuse to acknowledge it."

"Léda, come on." He sighed again as he stood up, taking a hold of her arm before she could walk off. "You have to stop this." There was something in his voice that made her catch her breath, he sounded almost... desperate. "Do you understand me?" Frustrated. "You're acting paranoid." Concerned. "There isn't anything ominous or even going around here and you must stop this."

"Oh, so now I'm not only irrational but crazy, as well?" She pushed his hand away.

"I've never said you were crazy. Don't turn my words inside out," he growled quietly.

"You know, Raiden, occasionally you should try and use your brain instead of just following orders like a toy soldier," she snarled and turned to leave.

Raiden didn't follow her and she was more than pleased by that. Léda felt cheated and let down. She'd truly thought if anyone, Raiden would understand and appreciate that she was trying to do something actually good and for a change, she truly wasn't just looking for trouble. She'd thought he'd also see that something wasn't right with Volkov. She could see it on his face when she'd told him about the conversation that she'd overheard, she could see he'd believed it was odd.

What's changed his mind? Why had he suddenly act like she was making this whole thing up? It didn't matter. She was going to get to the bottom of this. If Raiden thought she'd stop because he'd called her a lunatic, he was beyond wrong.