Chapter 22

Léda cleared her throat, leaning against the wall, her ankles crossed. Isabelle and the guy jumped apart, eyes wide, staring at her shocked.

"I... I think it's better if I go," he stuttered, rushing away, leaving Isabelle without a single moment of hesitation.

"Well trained boytoy," Léda commented, pushing away from the wall. "I kind of thought you were smarter than to cheat on your boyfriend in the open, Isabelle. You're sort of a let down." Who was stupid enough to eat their secret lovers face in the halls where anyone could see them? Even her ex, Tomi had the brain to try and hide his cheating ways from Léda. "And with a grayblood of all!" She gasped in a mocking fashion when Isabelle didn't reply, just glared at her. "What would your minions think of you?" Léda enjoyed the sheer terror that screwed her flawless face up for a moment. I've got you, girl and I'm not about to let you off the hook, she thought, her lips pulling into a smirk. Revenge was sweet. She could destroy her perfect little facade with just telling the truth. The only thing Léda would need this boy to back the story, tell the truth, as well.

"If you say a single word to anyone of what you saw, the curse of Chayyliel's Book is going to strike again one way or another because I swear to all the Angels, I'm going to end your pitiful life," Isabelle snarled, stepping up to Léda, her finger pointed at her threateningly. It wasn't her empty threats that caught Léda's attention though.

"What do you mean the curse of Chayyliel's Book?" Maybe she was just messing with her. Maybe Isabelle was just trying to freak her out. It wouldn't be all that baffling if Isabelle lied just to stop Léda from opening her mouth. Léda knew this type quite well, her reputation was everything for her and now that was threatened so she reacted like a cornered animal.

"You don't even know, do you? You poor, stupid little thing." The signature cold, calculating smile appeared on her face. "Personally, I think it'd be the Magister's job to let you know about the possible risks of your little projects."

"Don't make me ask again, Isabelle." Léda took another step to her, Isabelle's back pressing against the wall. The girl was getting on her nerves. Did she really know something? Was there truly some kind of risk in taking notes from an ancient book? Was the Book of Chayyliel like the Book of Dead?

"I'm talking about how all the novices who's ever touched that book winded up dead," Isabelle hissed, narrowing her sparkling, freezing cold blue eyes at her. "If I get lucky, it's going to end your sorry life, as well before you could become a real problem for me." She cocked her head to the side, plastering a smile on her face before she sidestepped Léda, threw her dark, curly locks over her shoulder and walked back into her room.

Léda stood in the middle of the hall, completely dumbstruck. Was Isabelle saying the truth? Has novices died because of the book? If so... How dare Dubicki put her into danger like that? She should have told her the very least so Léda could make a choice whether she wanted to risk her life or not. Your life isn't yours to risk anymore, she cringed by the thought. Her life was theirs.

Her hands tightened into fists. She was going to get to the bottom of this, very fast. If there was even a little bit of truth to the words of Isabelle... Léda was determined not to leave a stone standing. She marched down the hall, her wrath pumping through her veins like hot lava. She's head enough of all of this; the Bastion, the nephilims, their rules, their laws. No one had a right to treat her as if she was disposable. They'd kidnapped her, trained her to turn her into some kind of Holy killing machine and now before the enemy could even get a chance to try and end her, they put her in direct danger. Even she had limits.

She was so caught up in her own rage, Léda missed the person in front of her and stomped right into them. She would have fallen back if not for two strong hands catching her and steadying her on her feet. Raiden.