Chapter 21

"I still don't understand why we have to do this," Mike grumbled as he bent over the never ending copies spread out on the top of the desk.

The small group was working on Léda's notes of the Book of Chayyliel for Magister Dubicki, relentlessly. Mike's question was quite valid as their work seemed to make zero sense. Each time Léda finished a part that the Magister assigned for her, Dubicki reacted in the exact same manner; she asked if Léda found anything believed to be interesting or important by her standards. Léda Rose had zero standards and had no idea what could be considered interesting at all. She'd tried to explain this to Magister Dubicki. All Léda has seen so far was a bunch of either ominous or senseless rant; some they had managed to identify as historical events, some they simply couldn't figure out.

Whilst Léda has always been considered good at history, Mike and Annie's help was more than necessary because it turned out, her knowledge was anything but useful. Who would have thought the Romanovs were half breeds?

The nephilim society hadn't always been this organized as it turned out. It only got its current shape after World War II when the nephilims had gotten pointed out as the Earthly Army of Heaven for once and for all.

In Léda's humble opinion they were doing a horrible job. However, anytime she pointed out that there were still countless of wars, starving children, human trafficking, poverty, starvation and all sorts of terrible things in the world, the answer has remained the same: it wasn't their job to keep humans in line but to keep the line between the human world and what was there behind the veil in tact.

"I have no freaking idea. I think Magister Dubicki hates my guts from the very first second she saw me. This is her punishment for my very existence." Léda really didn't understand what was the point of all of this. The Magister didn't seem to be interested in their result anyway. Not once she's even looked at the notes Léda has spent hours on taking, or at least she assumed so, considering Dubicki has not once mentioned any of them.

"I don't think she hates you," Annie said, chewing the end of her pencil. "I think maybe this is her way of trying to help you understanding our history better and to get to know more about your roots."

"We don't even understand half of these. How is this helpful?" Mike asked before Léda could. This was anything but helpful. If Dubicki wanted to help, she'd take the time to talk through the details with Léda. Needless to say, Léda certainly didn't crave such attention but it would make sense.

"Hey guys." Adam walked up to them with a coy smile on his face. He glanced at Annie and when their gaze met, both of them looked away quickly. Léda rolled her eyes. She didn't approve of Isabelle's boytoy following Annie. She didn't like whenever Isabelle wasn't around, he somehow ended up around them.

"This is a private study group. I'm sure you have one, as well just look for the red light above the door and you'll find Isabelle." Léda plastered a smile on her face, tapping the end of her pen against the desk.

"She's with Tasha and the girls, doing some girl stuff." He blushed, rubbing the back of his neck.. Both Mike and Léda glared at him, making sure he was aware as well that he was not welcome. Whilst Léda hadn't had to witness the rise of Adam and him abandoning Annie, it still annoyed her immensely.

"You mean plotting against our kind and thinking about how to reach world dmonance where blue blood rule and we serve you?" Mike narrowed his eyes, pulling his chair closer to Annie.

"There's no such a thing as our kind or their kind. We're all nephilims," Annie said in a small voice, offering a coy smile to Adam as she glanced up at him.

"Says the girl living in the attic," Léda mumbled.

"Would you like to help us? We're taking notes of the Book of Chayyliel."