Chapter 12

"Goodevening again," Volkov greeted Raiden and Léda from behind herdesk

"Goodevening again," Volkov greeted Raiden and Léda from behind herdesk. Léda's necklace was laid out in front of her, on the desk. Soshe didn't take her advice about where to shove it, Léda scoffedsilently.

She couldn'teven tell why she cared so much. It was just a stupid necklace,Raiden was right. Her mother meant nothing to her. She shouldn't beso bothered by this. Yet, the necklace made her feel somewhatconnected to them, to her parents. Now it was taken away from her,that one thing she could relate to them and Léda felt like a pieceof her was ripped from her.

It was alsothe last thing that she owned related to the real world. Now she wasleft with nothing that could prove that she was different than theothers in the Bastion; except for the red streaks in her hair.Slowly, it turned into an honest concern of hers that they'd cutthose off, as well.

"PrincipalVolkov," Raiden nodded promptly, taking his usual soldier likeposture next to Léda.

"Miss Rose,I understand you're confused –"

"I'm notconfused. I'm pissed," she corrected her with a glare. There wasn'tanything confusing about any of this; they'd stolen her life and nowher personal belongings, as well.

"Léda,please." Raiden sighed besides her.

"Fine. I'llshut it." She shrugged and crossed her arms over her chest, herlips pushing into a pout.

"Again, Iunderstand this situation is new for you and you haven't gotten achance to adapt to it yet. However, we do not tolerate behaviour likethis around here," Volkov said with an even voice. Léda couldswear she didn't even blink. Was it normal that she didn't? It wasunsettling for sure. "Excubitor Akiyama –" she turned herattention to Raiden. Léda glanced at him from the corner of hereyes. His jaw was set tight enough that Léda worried his teeth wouldsuffer permanent damage. " – this was the second occasion in avery short period of time that Miss Rose caused problem among thewalls of the Bastion." Was Volkov going to scold him for what she'ddone? This was nonsense. Raiden had done nothing wrong. "I trustyou understand she's your responsibility and therefore, it is yourjob to keep her in line."

"Iunderstand, ma'am." He nodded tightly, his hands in fists behindhis back as he stared ahead. Léda felt slightly guilty that he'dgotten lectured for what she'd done. But they'd freaking stoleneverything from her and she should have just let it happen? "Itwon't happen again."

"I certainlyhope it won't," Volkov said with a level voice, moving her gazebetween the two of them. "You may leave now." A shadow ofsurprise crossed Raiden's features and Léda could almost literallyhear the rocks falling from his chest.

The idea ofher getting suspended must truly terrify him. No wonder it concernedhim though. He'd be hold responsible for that and then his perfectreputation would get tainted. What a shame that would be, Lédathought with her anger rising again. All Raiden cared about was hisstupid career meanwhile her life was falling into pieces quickly andunstoppably.

"Thanks forthe help, you know," she hissed when they left the Principal'soffice. She shouldn't have even been surprised that he hadn't triedto defend her, or get her necklace back. The rule was the rule.

"You shouldbe happy you didn't get suspended." He gripped her elbow and turnedher back to him. She stumbled and fell against his chest, her handslanding on his stomach. "Your life's been turned upside down. Youhad to leave everything behind. I get it," he explained heatedly."But you have to try and get used to it because this is your lifenow and acting like a brat will only get you into more trouble."

"Do youthough? Get what it's like to be ripped away from your life?" Sheasked with a harsh tone and took a step back when his hold loosenedon her.

"I do," hesighed, running a hand through his hair. "We all know, Léda. Atone point we've all been where you are now." She frowned at him.Did they kidnap everyone? Why no one talked about that? Why thereweren't more police warnings out there? "When a nephilim turns 6,they're taken from their family."

"It isn'tthe same," she mumbled weakly even though, she knew it wasirrational of her to say that. Of course it wasn't the same. Hell,most likely it was way worse at that age.

"Do youreally think it's easier for a child to be ripped away from theirfamily?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I don'tknow, I've never had a family so how could I?" She shrugged andglanced away. She imagined Raiden as a little boy, being taken awayfrom the safe embrace of his mother. Her heart ached for him and foreveryone who had to go through that. What kind of heartless monsterswere these people? She moved her eyes back to him. All she saw waspatience and understanding. Damn him. "No, I don't think it's worsefor me than for a child," she groaned with a roll of her eyes."Does this mean we agree that I'm not a child?" She asked with aplayful smirk on her face.

"Come on,I'll walk you back to your aedis." The corner of his lip pulledupwards but only for a second. She'd have to work harder to succeedthe challenge she'd set for herself. She had a feeling it wasn't somuch of courtesy of him that he accompanied her to her room but thefact that he was worried, she'd somehow get into even more troubleduring the short trip.

"Alright,"he said when they stopped in front of her room. "Try not to getinto anymore trouble for today, okay?"

"Does thatmean I can go and look for trouble tomorrow?" She grinned at him.

"I have afeeling trouble finds you without you even looking for it," he saidlightly as he tipped his head to the side and watched her closely.

She bit herbottom lip anxiously, her stomach welcomed it's newest subtenants,the butterflies. How was it possible to have such odd colour of eyes?She realized what they reminded her of; spring. The golden was likesunshine, warm and made her feel like she was wrapped in a nice softblanket, the green was like the freshly sprouted green leaves on thetrees, full of life and the light round of silver that shielded herfrom the burning of the sun.

"I'm going,"he cleared his throat and looked away. "Good night, Léda."

"Good nightto you, too," she waved awkwardly. Where those poetic thought hadcome from, she had no idea. His eyes were like the spring. Shesounded like a bad pick up line from a teen movie.

"Léda,"Raiden called after her when she turned to open the door. She glancedback at him questioningly. "I'm sorry about your necklace." Shenodded, not certain what she could say to that. She was sorry, aswell. "Did you know it was Ateratus?" He asked and she raised herbrows in question. She had no idea what he was talking about."Ateratus, the only material that can take the life of a Maerorbesides fire." She blinked, tried to process his words. Léda shookher head slowly.

"She tried tokeep you safe, your mother," he said softly before he disappearedaround the corner.

 Léda stoodthere stunned. Her mother had tried to give her something that couldsave her life if things went down hill. Was it possible Sister Margithadn't lied when she'd claimed her mother had just wanted to protecther? What had scared her so much that she'd given her child up? Thefloor creaked under Léda's feet and she shuddered. Had her motherwanted to keep her from this place? From this kind of life? She hadso many questions and so little idea about how she could findanswers.