Chapter Nine

Music for the Chapter: Oceans by Hillsong.

We were in front of the parish house. What the hell am I doing here? I was pretty sure I’ve asked myself that question a trillion times. The church was very huge and beautiful adorned with bougainvillea flowers. I could hear a melodious choir singing inside, well practicing against Sunday service. We entered into a hallway and met a young man.

“Welcome, take a seat, Father John will be with you shortly” he told us. I assumed he was the seminarian.
After some minutes, an average height, cheerful looking man entered the office with a warm smile. He had a mark on his left cheek that resembled a tribal mark.

“Hello, my name is Reverend Father John Ijeoma, the parish priest of this Church. How can I be of help to you?”
“Ahem, My name is Darlington and this is Kodi. We have a problem” Darl said and I smiled when he said We. I mean things were happening pretty fast and he was already seeing us as an item even with my incubus problem.

“Out with it”  Father John replied.
“Well, Father, it  turns out that I have a spiritual husband, an Incubus. When I turned eighteen, he appeared to me for the first time and I’ve had sex with him occasionally. I liked it at first, till I found out it was abnormal and girls my age didn’t have that kind of dream often. I started dating and eventually got engaged but he died, I was so heart broken and it took me sometime to bounce back. When I did, I started dating again and the second guy died too. The same thing happened again and I gave up. I’ve known Darlington for a month now and I’ve avoided being in a relationship with him. Two nights ago, we were forced to be under the same roof. In different rooms of course” I rushed with an embarrassed laugh because I didn’t what any form of judgement on his part.

I took a deep breath and continued.
“That night I was visited by Taiwo my incubus and he tried to harm me so I screamed and that roused Darlington in his room to come and check up on me. One question led to another, he finally found out what I was passing through and asked me to come to the nearest Catholic church with him. Here we are” I said.

The Father looked like he had heard this kind of story times without numbers and he looked at me assuredly. I suddenly felt the weight of the problem being slightly lifted off my shoulders with the look alone.

“Kodi, I appreciate you for coming here. Mr. Darlington has also done well to bring you here and I want to assure you that there’s nothing impossible for God to do. I mean He’s an all-knowing and supernatural God. He’s greater than the greatest and stronger than the strongest even Taiwo is nothing compared to Him” he said with the warm smile still plastered on his face.

“I’ll like to correct a notion though” he continued and I nodded vigorously urging him to continue.
“Earlier on when you were describing the nature of your problem, you called the Incubus yours. You said 'my incubus'. The earlier you started rejecting him the better for you”. He said.

I didn’t even realize I said that, I looked over at Darlington sitting beside me and the priest sitting opposite me then I thought of the good life I would have afterwards with kids and all so I made up my mind there and then to fight Taiwo with all my might even if it was with the last drop of my blood. I looked at Father John again and said
“Let’s do this Father” with determination written all over my face. Darlington found my hand under the table, squeezed it and mouthed “You’ll be fine” with an assuring smile and I smiled back.

Darlington was becoming a constant factor in my life, a rock. For some reasons he wasn’t dead yet like the other guys I dated and I was beginning to respect the fact that he could pull off any character to the world ranging from nonchalance to believing in God to being my back bone. I really had a soft spot for him so I squeezed his hand back showing my appreciation non-verbally.
“Now listen you both…” Father John said bringing me back to reality.

Author's note: Yo people! Thanks for the reads! 196 reads just in one day! Y'all are awesome❤️😘😘😘

P.s: I've always wanted to squeeze bougainvillea flowers into one of my books, after reading about them in 'purple hibiscus' Adichie Chimamanda's book and I just did!😂😂
Shout out to my Uncle, Reverend Father John Ijeoma. My muse for Father John's character minus the mark on his cheeks sha😅😅 I love you Uncle Father🥰🤗🤗

Happy Reading! Remember to vote and comment  and God bless y'all.