Chapter Eighteen

Disclaimer: If you abhore Catholic practices, I advice you to skip this chapter. I will not take any comment about Catholics lightly because this is only but a story. Just fiction and no hard feelings or disregard for any church or belief. Abeg. Thanks.

I was running in a field at night, under the moonlight, wearing a very long gown.

A great wind gushed into my system almost knocking me out but I strived on, panting and crying.

Looking over my shoulders, a huge monstrous looking lion was gaining on me. I tripped on a stone, falling flat on the ground.

Sobs racked through me and I tried getting up but tripped on my long gown. Oh my God, I'm dead meat today I thought, frantically looking for a means of escape, but I was in a vast field with no beginning or end.

I finally stood up with the little strength I could muster but the lion pounced on me, nearly knocking breath out of me.

I screamed. In my hazy state, I could see the lion transforming in front of me to Taiwo.

“I’m ready for you all” he snarled.

My throat was being choked and I realized he was trying to kill me. I kicked my legs in the air with my eyes wide open and quite surprised.

I never knew Taiwo had fangs till that moment. They glistened under the stars.

He was so furious. When he spoke, it was no more a whisper like it used to be but rather, four loud voices both masculine, feminine and childish emanated from him.

“I will kill you, instead of being cast out!!” and he squeezed my throat tighter.

I whimpered, closed my eyes, and embraced the darkness falling over me. It was peaceful and I zoned the pain from the immense choking out.

‘Say a little prayer' a little voice in my head said.

‘Blood of Jesus' I said weakly in my mind

‘Mean it! Say it louder! I don’t want you to die' the voice egged me on eagerly.

'Blood of Jesus!!’ I thought a little bit loudly but all I could do physically was to moan painfully.

Taiwo's hold on me started loosening slowly and I used that as an opportunity to continue chanting  Blood of Jesus in my mind and with a grueling effort, he left me finally, roaring like a hurt lion.

“Rárá! Duro siso iyen! Iwo ni t'emi!” (Noo! stop saying that! You are mine!)

A silhouette dragged him off me and punched him repeatedly till he disappeared, leaving a puff of dust behind.

Meanwhile I was so spent and  panting, trying to get my breath. The silhouette I figured was a man rushed to me cradling my head in his arms calling my name urgently.

“Kodi, Kodi, wake up! Fight to wake up, don’t give up sugar. I’m here for you princess”

Darlington' I cooed dreamily in exhilaration and slowly opened my eyes and met his beautiful ones.

“Kodi, can you see me?
I jolted up with force and a searing pain had me slumping back on the bed.

“Easy, easy, honey”

“Hmmmm, mmhh, Darl he’s coming. Taiwo is coming” I cried.

I figured that Darl slept off in my room because, he was right by my side when I woke up and I was thankful that he didn’t leave.

“Shh, calm down baby. Nobody is coming. I’m here, I’ll call Father John right away. I think it’s about time we dealt with this Taiwo”

Scampering from the bed, he reached the night stand for his phone and dialed Father John's number, and spoke to him while I was still crying softly on the bed.