Chapter 3

The girls chatted about menial things then, until Becky pulled into a city less than two hours later. "Here it is," Becky said.

Amelia looked around her. The buildings and houses on the edge of town were looking run down and needed some TLC. She noticed people walking the streets, enjoying the evening, while others sat on the road, asking for a handout.

"Is this how the whole city looks?" Amelia asked.

"No, just this area, which makes it look bad for tourism. I mean, the buildings here don't look awful, but they aren't exactly great either, and if you go East or West, the homes are rather run down."

"That's terrible."

"I know, and the royal couple acts like nothing is wrong."

"It's too bad there wasn't a democracy here," Amelia said, "then the people could elect someone to fix up the city."

"Yes, but that will never happen. Would your parents want a democracy?"

"No, I suppose not, but then again, our kingdom doesn't look like this."

"True," Becky nodded as she drove. The further they drove, the more the businesses looked well off and Becky pointed down the streets to her left and right. "As we get closer to the palace, you will see that the homes get larger, and the businesses look better-taken care of."

"I see that, why is that?"

"It's as if this part of the city is the only part that the royal family sees, and so they think they are doing okay, but then again, maybe not, since they are asking for help."

"From what I can see," Amelia said,  " is that they need to get off their lazy asses and come out here and see what the other part of the city looks like, and help these poor people."

"I agree, but who are you going to tell? It's not like they will do anything about it."

"Even if we give them money?"

"Even if you give them money. You will see what I mean. The palace is beyond lavish, as I said before. Your palace looks like a pauper's house compared to theirs."

"Wow, that sounds crazy."

"I know, right?"

"Here we are," Becky then said, pulling up to a ten foot high gate that was shut at the moment. The palace was surrounded in ten foot walls too, shutting the world out.

"Wow, it's like they don't want to see what their people are up to, and don't care," Amelia shook her head.

"I know," Becky nodded.

A guard stepped out from an opening that was built in the side of the gate. He was dressed in a uniform and approached the car.

"Becky," the man said, and then saw Amelia. "Who is your friend?"

"My cousin, Amy. I brought her for a visit."

"Does the Queen and King know?"

"They do."

"Very well," the man said, and went back to push a button for the gate to open.

"Wow, he is trusting," Amelia observed.

"He knows me well. My parents and his parents are good friends."

"Good to know," Amelia nodded at the man as they drove through the gates.

The gates closed behind them, and Amelia gasped at the size of the palace. It was over twice the size of her parents, and it looked like gold leaf was in the paint as it shimmered in the late afternoon sun.