Chapter 18

"Are we still on for midnight?" Amelia then asked Ashton.

He sighed. "I had better not, I am sorry, Amy. I shouldn't even be doing this," he said, even as he kissed her.

"Ashton, I want your honest answer about something."

"Of course."

"How much do you like me?"

Ashton kissed her again. "More than anyone I have ever known."

"Then you are going to trust me when I tell you to ask for the princess's hand in marriage."

"And if she refuses?"

"I doubt she will," Amelia smiled softly. "She will be here on the day of the ball. Talk with her and her parents. I am sure that you can work things out."

"But I want you," Ashton whispered to her. "Do you not understand this?"

"I do," Amelia whispered, hugging him. "I really do. I have known you for four days, and I am falling for you," she admitted.

She then stepped back, looking shocked. "Did I say that out loud?"

Ashton chuckled and pulled her to him again. "Yes, you did, and I feel the same, Amy. You have stolen my heart. That is why it is going to be difficult to propose to a stranger."

"I have a feeling that you will realize you have more things in common than you realize, Ashton, and I will forgive you for marrying her."

"But," he protested, but she silenced him with a kiss.

"Let's enjoy our time together," Amelia said, "even if it is only for a few more days."

"And what will you do after the ball?"

"I will see where the road leads me," Amelia smiled at him.

"You really wouldn't be upset if I married the princess."

"To get you away from Serena, you had better believe it."

"Even if it breaks your heart."

"Even if it does," Amelia said softly.

"Why are you such a good person?" Ashton asked her.

"Because I care for you," she said, "more than you will ever know."

Ashton pulled her tight to him and laid a searing kiss on Amelia's lips. "Amy, you have no idea what you have done to me," he whispered huskily.

"I think I have an idea," she teased him, winking at him.

Ashton chuckled. "Okay then, can we talk about more pleasant things?"

"Why don't you come and hang out with your cousins. They were telling some pretty funny stories," Amelia said. "It will help get your mind off of things."

Ashton smiled at Amelia. "I would rather you take my mind off of things," he muttered, kissing her again.

Amelia kissed him back. "You must save yourself for your bride."

"Ha, like she is innocent."

"If you mean the princess, yes, she is. She has saved herself for her husband."

"And the ex-fiancé? He didn't ruin her?"

"No, from what I understand, he was cheating on her because she wouldn't sleep with him."

"Real winner there," Ashton ground out.

"Yes, a true winner. Now come on and hang out with your cousins. They are a delight to be around."