Chapter 22

The two of them ate their breakfast, then Ashton took Amelia's hand and led her back to the kitchen.
"So, where did you lovebirds meet?" Celia asked as Ashton put his arm around Amelia's waist.

"Believe it or not, we met just a few days ago," Ashton chuckled. "Amy came to stay with my cousin Becky, and well, I think it was love at first sight, at least it was for me," Ashton admitted. "Amy has been the best thing to ever happen to me, and I have changed for the better because of her."

"I see that you donated food to the homeless and hungry," Celia said.

"Yes, and I am starting to build several apartments for the homeless," Ashton smiled.

Amelia looked at Ashton in shock. "You are really doing that?"

He smiled. "Yes, for my people. I am tired of them going hungry and not having a place to stay, and thanks to my mother, I am using her money. She's not going to be happy to see that I am, but I really do not care. I have had enough of her reckless spending, and instead, I am using it for some good."

Amelia looked shocked. "Really?"

"Really. I went to my father last night and had a heart to heart with him. I didn't mention your and mine's relationship, because I don't want to open that can of worms, but I told him that I was going to help the people and he couldn't stop me, and then I informed him that I was using the money that should be mine, and he could not stop me."

Celia and Wayne both laughed. "Well, I'll be," Wayne said. "Good for you, boy. Someone has needed to put a rein on that woman for years. What did your father say to that?"

"He told me to do what I wanted, but my mother's wrath would be great. I really don't care, because, in two days, I won't be there anymore," he said, kissing Amelia on the cheek.

"Well, at least you are turning out to be a good young man," Celia said. "I was worried about you for a long time."

"I know," Ashton said, "but I met Amy, and things changed. I want to be that person that she looks up to. I want her to be proud of me."

"I am sure she is, dear," Celia smiled.

"I am," Amy said, smiling at Ashton. She then looked at the couple. They looked worn out.

"Are you two the only ones who work here?" Amelia asked.

"In the kitchen, yes," Celia nodded. "We have staff that serves the front. I bake and wash dishes, and Wayne cooks and washes dishes."

"I see," Amelia said, looking at the stack of dishes in the sink. She walked over to the sink and put on some gloves.

"Now, what do you think you are doing, young lady?" Celia asked her.

"Giving you a break. Go and sit for a few, visit with your nephew, and let me do this."

"You are going to ruin that beautiful outfit of yours," Celia frowned.

"Oh well, it is just clothes."

Celia laughed and grabbed an apron off a hook. "At least wear this."

"Thank you, Aunt Celia."

She cackled. "You are welcome, niece."

Amelia raised an eyebrow at her, but she just winked.

Ashton looked at Amelia as she started to wash the dishes. She just kept on amazing him.

"You love her, don't you," Celia said, watching her nephew.

"Yes," he whispered, "and I think I am going to propose to her the day of the Ball. That should shock my parents."

Celia chuckled. "Yes, that it will, but you are happy, and that is all that matters."