Chapter 11

"Amy, stay with me," she heard, as pain wracked her body. "Don't you dare give up, I want to get to know you," the voice seemed so far away. She suddenly felt warmth surround her and realized someone had picked her up, and he smelled so good.

"Don't you die on me," she heard. "Don't you dare."

"Sire, let me take her," Amelia heard.

"Okay," Ashton choked out.

"Sire, you can ride with us," the man said, as Amelia felt herself being laid onto a stretcher. "You need to be checked out also."

Ashton nodded numbly. He looked at Amelia, who was covered in blood. He didn't even know how injured she was because every inch of her looked covered in blood.

The paramedics loaded Amelia into the ambulance, Ashton climbing in beside her.

Ashton took Amelia's hand in his, as the paramedics hooked Amelia up to an I.V., while another paramedic wiped the blood off of Amelia to see where she was bleeding from.

"It looks like she has quite a wound on her head," the one man said, "and another on her arm where glass cut her. But we don't know if she has broken bones."

"I should have been sitting on that side," Ashton said, shaking his head.

"Drunk driver, sire?" one of the men asked.

"No, just someone not paying attention to the stop sign, from what I was told."

"They are dead, sire," the driver said. "He went through the windshield because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt."

Ashton sighed. "Something else to blame on me, I suppose."

"No one will blame you, sire. It was an accident, plain and simple. The officers will even tell you that."

Amelia moaned as she opened her eyes.

"Amy," Ashton said, clutching her hand into his.

"Ashton," she whispered.

"Yes?"

"The people."

"What about them?"

"Their food," she whispered. "They need their food."

Ashton shook his head in disbelief. "You are almost killed, and all you think about is making sure that the people are fed?"

"Aren't you?" she whispered, closing her eyes again.

Ashton shook his head. "Unbelievable."

He pulled out his phone from his jacket pocket.

"Walton, send some of the men to the town square and make sure that they get the food I have for them. As a matter of fact, send my dear cousins, and if anyone asks where I am, tell them I was in a bad car accident."

"Sire, are you okay?"

"I am, Amelia, not so much."

Walton gasped. "Sire, will she be okay?"

"I hope so, Walton. Someone ran a stop sign and hit us. Amelia is in bad shape, but all she cares about is making sure the people get their food."

"Wish her a speedy recovery, sire, and I will pass the word on."

"I will, Walton," Ashton said and hung up. He wasn't even going to tell his parents about the accident; they wouldn't even care.

The cousins were just headed out of their rooms from swimming, when Walton approached them, his face pale.

"His highness needs your help," Walton said to them.

"Walton, what's going on?" Jacque asked, seeing the concern in his eyes.

"His highness was in a bad accident, Miss Amy is hurt very badly, they are on the way to the hospital now."

"Crap," he said, looking at his cousins. "We had better head that way."

"No, young man, his highness requests that the four of you go and distribute the food meant for the people, and if anyone asks, tell them that his highness was in an accident."

Jacque closed his eyes, gritting his teeth. "All he cares about is that damn food?"

Walton chuckled. "No, Miss Amy was. She wanted to make sure the food was distributed, even though she is gravely injured."

"That is my cousin for you," Becky said, tears in her eyes. "Come on cousins, let's go and help them, and then we can go to the hospital."

"Have the Queen and King been informed?" Jacque asked Walton.

"No. His Highness said that his parents would not care."

"He's right," Ellis frowned.

"Let's get going then," Victor said, "so we can go and check on Amy."

The four of them nodded and headed down the stairs at a run.