Chapter 27

The family spent the afternoon visiting and when dinner rolled around, all of them ate in Becky's room. No one wanted to face the frauds.

When bedtime finally rolled around, the King and Queen sighed. "We do not want to spend the night in the royal wing," Amelia's mother said.

"Then don't," Amelia said. "Mom, and dad, you can stay in here with Becky and I and Drew can room with Victor if that is all right."

"We will head home," Celia said. "We will see you tomorrow, young man," she said, hugging her nephew, "we look forward to getting justice after all of these years."

"I do too," Ashton nodded at his aunt and uncle. "I will see you tomorrow."

"We love you nephew, very much," Celia said on the way out the door, "just remember that."

"I will," Ashton said. He then sighed. "I don't want to go and sleep in my wing either. I am afraid to be accosted by my so-called parents or cousin."

"Stay then," Becky said. "Victor has an extra bedroom."

"I do," Victor nodded. "We can have a guy's night. You know, watch awful movies on my phone, eat junk food, drink."

"Victor," Becky frowned.

"I'm kidding. I am beat. Come on you two. Ashton, you can borrow some of my clothes for the night, and Drew, I assume you brought clothes?"

Drew nodded at a bag by the door.

"Good, come on, we have a long day tomorrow."

"Goodnight, son," the Queen said.

"Goodnight, mom, dad," Drew said, then grabbing his bag, he followed Victor out the door.

"I'll be in my room," Jacque said. "Goodnight everyone."

"Goodnight, Jacque," Amelia said. "Thanks for your help."

"No problem," he shrugged, and left the room. Ellis walked over to Amelia and hugged her. "You are the best thing that has happened to Ashton, don't break his heart, or you might find your head bald, too," he said, making Amelia laugh.

"You have no worries," she promised.

"Good," he said and left the room.

"We are going to go and get settled in," the Queen said, nodding at her husband.

"Of course," he said, then looked at Amelia. "Goodnight, dear daughter."

"Goodnight, mother, father," Amelia said, hugging them.

Becky headed to her room also, leaving Amelia alone with Ashton. "You know," she teased, "you aren't supposed to see your bride before her wedding day."

Ashton chuckled. "I will make an exception to that rule," he teased her, pulling her to him and kissing her passionately. "I cannot wait to make you my bride tomorrow."

"I look forward to being Mrs. Holland."

"Actually," Ashton said. "I don't want your name tainted. I would rather take your last name."

"Really?" she asked.

"Really. My last name is nothing but lies. Your last name is full of hope and dreams," he said softly. "I love you with all of my heart, Amelia."

"As I love you," she whispered, kissed him, then pushed him away. "Go and get some sleep, we have a long day tomorrow."

Ashton chuckled. "Yes, that we do. Goodnight my love."

"Goodnight," she whispered, kissed him once more, then pushed him to the door.

In Ashton's room, Serena waited. She was determined to woo the man before her wedding tomorrow. Besides, if he slept with her and she got pregnant, he would have to marry her, cousin or not. It was a good thing that he didn't know who she truly was.

She paced the floor in her barely-there lingerie, wondering where the prince was.

She finally put on a robe and stuck her head out the door. No one was there, not the prince, or the guards, and she wondered where he was. She was sure he would show up sometime during the night.

Ashton had called his guards into Victor's room and explained the situation, and all of them had vowed to him that they would guard him with their lives, no matter what happened the next day. They were ready to get rid of the evil king, queen, and now, daughter.

"And if Serena asks where I am, tell her I am getting some good sleep for my wedding day," he smirked, making the guards chuckle.

Serena walked down the hall and saw a guard leaning against the wall minutes later.

"You," she hissed at him. "Where is prince Ashton?"

The guard smiled, a mean smile. "He is getting some good sleep elsewhere to prepare for his marriage," the man said.

Serena gasped and hurried down the hall. "Ashton is going to propose and marry me tomorrow?" she couldn't believe her good fortune. She had to tell the Queen.

She knocked on the door, and the King answered. "What do you want?"

"I must speak with mother," she whispered.

"Come on in," he mumbled.

Serena hurried inside. The Queen was sitting in bed, dressed in a negligee.
"Yes child?" the Queen said.

"Oh, I have the best news, mother."

"What is it?"

"One of the guards just told me that Ashton was going to propose and wed me tomorrow," Serena gushed.

The Queen sat up. "Really?"

"Yes, that is what he said, I am so excited."

"What were the guard's exact words?" the queen asked.

"When I asked him where Ashton was, he said that Ashton was sleeping elsewhere to prepare for his marriage tomorrow."

"Oh my, well, my dear, we must act surprised of course," the Queen said, a smile on her face. "Hurry off to bed then, you must look good on your wedding day, and the dress we chose for you will be perfect."

"Yes," Serena grinned. "Oh, I am just so thrilled. Tomorrow will be the best day of my life," she sighed. 

"Yes, now remember, you must act surprised tomorrow," the Queen said. "No giving it away that you know anything."

"Of course," Serena chuckled. "Goodnight, mother, Gerard," she said and headed to her room.

"Do you think it is possible that he is going to ask her to marry him and have a wedding on the same day?" the Queen asked her husband.

"I suppose it is possible. Ashton must have seen the error of his ways and decided he would wed Serena. The princess must not be what he thought her to be, although she will be here tomorrow, we were told. Maybe she is ugly like her brother," the King shrugged.

"Yes, more than likely. Oh, what a glorious day it will be, and as soon as they are wed, I am getting rid of everyone that has anything to do with Ashton, especially those wretched cousins."

"Yes, dear," the King said, shutting off the light. "Let's get some sleep, it will be a long day tomorrow."

"A very incredible day tomorrow," the Queen murmured.

"That too," the King said. If only they knew how very wrong, they were.